Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2014 21:00

Hard Drive failed Targeted Read Test

Hello,

I have been experiencing issues while playing PC games. It occurs randomly, but consistently in the middle of games. I at first believed it to be a video card error but made sure all drivers were up to date. I ran the Dell System Detect diagnostic tool and found that my hard drive does not pass the test. What exactly does this mean for my hard drive/laptop, and what are the steps that I can take to find a solution?

My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 (L502X) running Windows 7, and my hard drive is the WDC WD10JPVT model.

Thanks,

Miko

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 17th, 2014 14:00

xMiko

A question, what do you mean by 'transfer', only transferring the data files and folders, or using Dell Backup and Recovery, or what?

Installing the same WDC 1tb, 2.5", 5400rpm, 9.5mm high, internal hard drive would be fine, or you could also install a different manufacturer's hard drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927

Personally, I prefer Western Digital drives.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 17th, 2014 07:00

Hello,

I have been experiencing issues while playing PC games. It occurs randomly, but consistently in the middle of games. I at first believed it to be a video card error but made sure all drivers were up to date. I ran the Dell System Detect diagnostic tool and found that my hard drive does not pass the test. What exactly does this mean for my hard drive/laptop, and what are the steps that I can take to find a solution?

My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 (L502X) running Windows 7, and my hard drive is the WDC WD10JPVT model.

Thanks,

Miko

xMiko

This means the hard drive has failed and you need to replace it.

If there's a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical Support for a replacement, no warranty, then you need to buy the replacement hard drive.

Bev.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2014 13:00

Bev,

Thanks for the reply. For the sake of clarity, is there a certain kind of hard drive that I need to replace the failed one with? For example, the same model or can it be from a different manufacturer, size, etc.? I just want to make sure because my friend had told me to be careful of the kind of hard drive it is or else it will not properly transfer everything.

Thank you,

Miko

3 Posts

November 17th, 2014 17:00

Basically just transferring data files and folders.

But this answered the concerns I have, so thank you!

Miko

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 17th, 2014 19:00

xMiko

Bev.

No Events found!