Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2013 15:00

Hard Drive not being detected

I have a Dell 530S.....having issues with the hard drive not being detected......doesn't show up in the BIOS....ran diagnostic....doesn't turn up......I got into safe mode at one point....looked at event logs and it said something about a bad block......but, I can't scan the hd because it doesn't show up at all......I could still see my files in Safe Mode, so I don't understand what's up or how to fix it.......already opened and checked cables, though I'm not sure how they are supposed to go,  and I can feel the hd vibrating......tried to look at the manual on here, but got the message file not find....also tried the Seagate diagnostic, but it was not found when I did that......Any help would be appreciated.....

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi ibdugas,

Your drive is toast. If you needs files off that drive, I would immediately stop using it or doing anything to it whatsoever. Pull it out. Go buy a new hard drive and a USB enclosure (3.5") to put your old drive in. After you install Windows, then you can try getting your files.

803 Posts

July 10th, 2013 04:00

Hi lbdugas,

As Osprey said, the hard drive seems to failing. If the system is under warranty, please provide the service tag, name on the account, address and phone number through Private message so that I can help you with the replacement.

To send a Private Message, click my User name and Start Conversation.

However if the system is not under warranty, you can purchase a replacement hard drive here: http://dell.to/1dhEWIY

2 Posts

July 10th, 2013 13:00

Is there no way it could be disconnected or unrecognized by the BIOS because of some bad setting....I think there may have been a power surge or something when windows was trying to load....that was when I started having trouble.....

If I get one of those enclosures will it allow me to retrieve my files??

803 Posts

July 11th, 2013 04:00

If you are able to boot the system in Safe mode, you can connect an external hard drive and copy all the data/files etc. Run the complete hardware diagnostics to isolate the issue further. To run diagnostics, start system and press F12 on the Dell logo screen. From the One time boot menu, select the option Diagnostics. Make a note of any error message or codes that you get to see during the diagnostics.

No Events found!