Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2011 20:00

Help! Data Recovery!

Hello all,

My laptop was working fine when suddenly it became very slow to access data one for a couple of days.Then the next day Win7 didn't load up. Now I can't even get the Dell BIOS screen up and running when I turn it on. Just a black screen (power is on though).

I thought it might be a software problem or virus, so I brought it to a small repair shop. The guy said that when he connected the HDD up to his machine, it made noises and he couldn't access any of my data. He said that I should replace the HDD and that to recover my data I could send the damaged HDD to a lab where they could use their spare parts instead of the damaged ones to perform data recovery for me, but it would cost about HKD$5,000 (USD$650).

This seems a bit costly. I only recently purchased an external HDD for backup, and hadn't backed up all my files at this point. My Dell warranty just ran out after this happened so I didn't get the chance to call them about it. If anyone knows any companies that will perform data recovery on my HDD (or if Dell will do it for a cheaper price), please let me know : I'm desperate at this point!

Thanks for taking a look,

Wes

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 7th, 2011 03:00

Data recovery is very expensive.  The price quoted is relatively cheap compared to prices I've seen here in the US.  

This will be lesson on doing periodic backing up to some external device.

Dell, to my knowledge, does not offer any recovery services.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 7th, 2011 17:00

If the price is firm and the lab has a good reputation, go for it.  In the US, a reputable company would charge at least twice that just to look at the drive - possibly much more if clean room work is required.

Be sure it's a firm price - or you could find your data being held hostage for what will turn out to be a much higher price.

3 Posts

November 7th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for the info on the price and Dell. Yes, lesson learnt. The hard way!

3 Posts

November 7th, 2011 17:00

HK business culture involves this kind of thing all the time, so I cannot believe I didn't think of this. A great response, thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 14th, 2013 23:00

If the system still recognizes the drive (in BIOS setup) you may be able to mount the drive in an external case and attach it to a working system by USB to data recovery the files.

79 Posts

January 16th, 2013 08:00

If you search for data recovery at dell.com you'll get referred to Gillware.  They are the best lab for the money, and that's why Dell recommends them exclusively.  They have a do it yourself self-booting recovery software called RecoverBot that works well if the drive is detecting properly in the BIOS and isn't clicking.  Otherwise, you can give them a ring and send it to their lab.  Usually costs about 185-350 bucks.    Their number is 877-624-7206.  Be sure to tell them Dell recommended you so you get the Dell pricing.

9 Posts

November 24th, 2013 17:00

BIOS is also called Basic Input and Output System. It plays an important role in computer sysyem. BIOS chip is the connection between software and hardware program. You can check your BIOS chip

October 28th, 2014 03:00

Hi,
Sorry for the late answer.
1) Firstly, perform a low level cloning of your external hard drive to another external hard drive.
2) Secondly, unplug your original external hard drive (so that your HFS+ data won't be damaged).
And keep it as a backup during all the file recovery.
3) Thirdly, plug a third external hard drive where the extracted files will be outputed.
4) Lastly, use a good data recovery software to recover files from FAT from the cloned hard drive.

Recover Data for Windows Data Recovery Software can successfully recover or restore your corrupted, formatted, deleted or inaccessible Windows hard disk data as fast as possible.

No Events found!