Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2009 13:00

Help re booting hard drive..

I have a inspiron 530  running XP on my system there is so much problems with it.. i need to re boot the hard drive.. is there any way i could do that with out any cds??? i never got any when i bought the computer.

Thank you for any help!

4.6K Posts

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

i need to re boot the hard drive..

is there any way i could do that with out any cds??? i never got any when i bought the computer.

I assume you mean that you want to reformat the hard drive, and reinstall Windows XP from scratch again?

You're going to need the OS disc before you can do that.

I don't know if you'll be entitled to them, but you can certainly request backup discs.

Does the Inspiron 530 not have a 'Recovery' partition though, because you don't need the discs to use it?

It's Ctrl + F11 (during the boot process) to access it, if it does.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

TommyMidnight

See HERE

You can request a set of backup discs containing the factory installed operating system as well as the device drivers and utilities specific to your system from HERE.

Bev.

2 Posts

You don't mention if you can get to the desktop.   There are many things you can do to correct problems.   Most of them are viruses that need to be gotten rid of.  I just had a problem where I could only get  on in safe mode, and had even ordered another computer from Dell and then found the problem myself. 

I had found that Ad-Aware finds more viruses than McCaffee (which I will never ever buy again....trendpcillin is better)  and I also went through the Dell disk cleaner, registry mechanic,  and checked to make sure that my printer was compatible wit hmy Vista program.   I have also had problems wit h that when vista first came out.  It took awhile for them to get the printers to work with that new program .   Check all your programs for compatability..   It might help a bit...Judy

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

April 9th, 2009 08:00

Hi. If you can get to the desktop, try doing an windows restore. Or bootup then press F8 go into safe mode, then try an windows restore.

No Events found!