Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2008 20:00

How do I format the hard drive in my laptop to re-install Windows XP?

I have a new Dell laptop on order and expect delivery by the end of the week.  I have an Inspiron 1300 that I am giving to my brother.  I want to give it to him in out of the box condition.  While he is my brother, I still want to wipe all my personal data from the hard drive.

I have the Dell Resource disk that will re-install XP and drivers, but how do I format the hard drive?

3 Posts

December 16th, 2008 02:00

Reinstalling it to out of the box is only possible if you have a DELL computer according to very old usage by pressing CTRL-F12 during startup.

But DELL's recovery from the last years is pretty bad. If you made a ghost image, you can restore that.

If you made a Windows restore disk you probably find out it destroys your computer.

Sollution: Dell supports your computer with the MS Windows install CD and a Resource Driver CD.
Put the MS Windows CD in your drive and restart your computer. Press F12 during boot/restart and you get the boot menu. Start from CD/DVD.
Press space when asked to start from CD.

IMPORTANT: When Windows install CD is started, you are ready to partition a C and D drive and format them. You will loose all information on the C drive.

After partitioning and Windows Install Windows startup with the 'out of te MS box' settings. You are missing most of the DELL drivers. The resource disk holds all drivers beloging to your computer. You can also choose to install the network driver and get the drivers from Internet.

Succes,

Frankie

3.7K Posts

December 16th, 2008 06:00

Hi doug14, Here are two journals, THIS ONE will help you to install your Drivers, and THIS ONE will help you to install your operating system.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2008 07:00

Thanks!

I re-started with the Dell provided XP disk in the drive. Pressing F12, loaded from the CD. Followed the steps to format the C: drive, re-installed the operating system.  Went to another computer in the house and logged onto Dell Support.  Entered the service tag from the laptop, and downloaded the drivers that were on the system when originally manufactured.  Moved to the laptop with a thumb drive and installed.  Connected the laptop to my wireless internet and updated all the programs.

Worked perfectly!  Thanks forthe advice!

1 Message

December 22nd, 2008 19:00

GSORSS,

Great post.  After trying the Dell way for 2 hours I found your post and it worked perfectly.

Dean

18 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 23:00

u can use this software to clean your hd Active@ KillDisk Suite(Free)v.5.0 download and make a cd or dvd first than after u r done with everything make sure u make a back up cd of all your pictures or any stuff u got on your computer that u dont want to lose because this software would clean you hd it is free and safe i have use it quite e few times hope it helps

3.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2008 05:00

Hello,

Just to add ...

You need to follow the Dell 'required' order of install to get everything working correctly.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older systems that don't offer DSS or NSS files. But if your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2009 19:00

Hi,

This nor any of the 1000s of solutions on the net have worked for me.  Everyone seemed to be giving the same advise so I must be the only person having this issue.  I put the MS Windows CD in my drive and restarted my computer over and over. I pressed F12 during boot/restart and I got the boot menu. The Start from CD option appears but when I hit enter nothing happens.  I've been trying to format my hard drive for 1 month now and I'm thinking that there must be some kind of lock that dell has on the hard drive or something.  what do you think.

Thanks,

G

3.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 19:00

Hello,

It would be best if you started your own question thread. :emotion-55:

Then include your model number and version of Windows, along with your question of what you want to do, and what you have already tried. :emotion-15:

3 Posts

January 5th, 2009 06:00

This is Doug, the original poster of this question.  The above steps worked perfectly for me, but just last week I was helping a friend re-format and re-install Windows XP on her laptop, but everytime I tried to boot off the CD by pressing F12, the system skipped it and went to teh hard drive anyway.  I called Dell and they had me change the bios start-up order , but that made no difference.  Then they had me remove the optical device (the CD player). With the laptop off, removed one screw from the back, slid the optical device out. Turned the computer back on.  Then off again. Re-installed the optical device.  Started the computer, hit F12, booted off the CD and everything worked perfectly again.

Good luck.

1 Message

February 24th, 2009 15:00

Hello GSORSS

I have a quick question on this topic

I want to format my hard drive (that has  a current xp installation), then reinstall from my dell disc.

When i boot from the cd, i get the following screen:

install on c(but i get a warning to not install multiple OS's on the same partition)

or

delete the c partition (which i don't think i want to do)

do i need to boot to command prompt, then type format c:/ s?

or something like that?

thanks in advance for your help.

wayne

August 11th, 2012 02:00

I WANT TO TAKE SOME DRIVES DISKS AND OPERATING SYSTEM DISK

August 11th, 2012 02:00

YES, I WANT

1 Message

May 18th, 2015 10:00

TY Doug... tried to do as you said but once it has installed it comes up with this message

"A problem has prevented windows rom accurately checking the status of the licence for the computer. To proceed your copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft.  Do you want to activate windows now"

Yes... No

I pressed yes and got a screen saver and no icons... nada nothing.... blue sky and green grass...

How can I activate?

And should I have disk in? or out? 

I already put in licence number when I installed...

FRUSTRATED

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

TY

Carol

No Events found!