Highlighted
NicoRenisus
Bronze

How do I set my Own Master Password HDD?

Is Dell still setting the Master Password? 

also have a look at this thread

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/18696477.aspx

was it ever addressed?..

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

RE: How do I set my Own Master Password HDD?

Hi NicoRenisus,

Depending on the model of your PC, you may be able to set up a password.

0 Kudos
NicoRenisus
Bronze

Dell Latitude E4310

BIOS Has to Option for setting a HDD Password only,  Inputting a New password and it is obvious that Dell Generates a Master Key Using either the Service Tag Or HDD Serial Number. The Warning Prompt Reads as Follows.

"This hard disk drive supports Security Erase. If you enable this feature and then unlock the drive using the Dell supplied recovery password all data on the drive will be erased and cannot be recovered . Do you want to enable Security Erase for this drive?"

I did a some test's and i figured out how to set my own Master/USER password. even tho the Dell BIOS Probably sets the Master Password to Maximum Security Mode   'which execute's Security Erase when the Dell Supplied Password is used' and wipes the HDD clean and then Unlock's the Drive.    So that is what i believe is happening, and the fact that Dell Generates a Master Password either against my Service Tag or HDD Serial Number i simply do not trust the BIOS. just Google 'Dell Password Generator' or Dell I Forgot My Password' and you could see why i do not trust it.

Am i wrong for not trusting Dell? i think not.

Is my Analysis incorrect? please enlighten me with some knowledge.

Thank You

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Dell does this for business machines as an anti-theft measure. When someone forgets their password, Dell can unlock the drive. You are free not to use secure erase and employ your own encryption software to protect your drive.

0 Kudos