Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2008 14:00

How to install Windows on Dell Inspiron with Factory Installed Ubuntu

Hi,

I bought Dell Inspiron 1420 with Ubuntu 7.1 already installed on it. I need to install
Windows XP on it. I bought a new 320 GB Hard Drive and took out the Hard Drive with Ubuntu on it that came with the laptop.
Now I am facing issues to install Windows and get the following error:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3

Now if I put the same hard drive into another laptop with factory installed Windows I can install Windows fine its only when I put it in the laptop with factory installed Ubuntu I get the above error. I even tried installing Windows on other laptop and then put the hard drive in the laptop with replacing Ubuntu hard drive with the one with Wondows but it only shows me starting Windows Screen and then a BLUE SCREEN comes and the lptop shuts down. If I use this hard drive with any of the laptops with Windows Factory installed it works fine. It's only that it doesn't work on a laptop with Ubuntu Factory installed.

Can someone please tell me how can I install Windows now. I was hoping it would straight forward but looks like it's not working. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 3rd, 2008 20:00

If you don't plan to keep Ubuntu, you can go into the BIOS setup and set the drive to ATA compatible.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 21:00

Here is my opinion about your issue; if possible, reformat Fat32 and partition your HD into 2; 1 for windows and 1 for ubuntu. Install windows 1st then ubuntu after. You will have dual boot system, before loging in, you will be asked on what system to login. Sometimes, reformatting HD can fix any issue regarding OS and HD lockups. If you dont need ubuntu, reformat it 1 piece and install windows only.

Message Edited by rameeadam on 09-03-2008 05:40 PM
No Events found!