Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2014 15:00

How to prepare for a hdd replacement

I have and XPS 14 L421X and its going to need a new hdd at some point. I am wondering how to prepare, and make sure I have all necessary things for reinstalling windows 8. I have the product key, but I don't have the reinstall disk. As the xps 14 doesn't have an optical drive, I need to get the install onto a flash drive. I have no idea how to do that. Should I try to contact windows for that or can I create an install drive from my pc? also do I need to have all of the drivers saved onto another flash drive so that I can use the computer properly. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to prepare myself for my replacement in the future. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 05:00

Use the Dell Backup and Recovery utility to prepare a bootable flash drive (you'll need a blank, 16G or larger USB drive).   That will allow you to restore the system to factory condition when the need arises.

You can also make your own recovery image using any number of tools - but you WILL NEED a bootable device to do the restore, so make the bootable flash drive NOW.

No Events found!