Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2008 18:00

How to rebuild RAID 1 after motherboard replaced?

I originally purchased a Dell Dimension E510 with "DataSafe" with RAID 1 mirroring 2 - 160 GB drives.

Unfortunately the PC was hit by a surge and the motherboard needed to be replaced.  Yesterday I noticed that I had additional drive letters that weren't there before the motherboard was replaced.  After some investigation I found that RAID wasn't enabled in the BIOS when the Dell technician replaced the dead motherboard and that is why I'm seeing the additional drive letters.

The problem is that I can't enable RAID and then configure it to work.  If go into the BIOS, enable RAID and then try to go into the RAID configuration it just sits there with the cursor blinking at a blank screen.  I thought at first it was trying to resync, but there is no apparent hard drive activity and I let it sit 30 minutes with nothing happening.  If I turn RAID back off I can boot fine into Windows XP.

Considering the problem I did a "chat" with Dell Support last night and they said I have to reformat the drives and reinstall.  I was quite baffled by this because I would think all I would have to do is configure the drives to mirror in the RAID configuration.  Reinstalling/reformatting won't help if I can't even get into the RAID configuration after boot.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is to do a BIOS upgrade to see if that fixes the problem accessing the RAID configuration.  Has anyone else run across this same problem or have a solution?

Thanks,
Matt

6.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2008 20:00

My guess is that you will have to pretend that one of the drives has failed and try this procedure from page 29 of your user's manual:

Recovering From a Single Hard Drive Failure Using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager

NOTE: The following steps can be performed only after the failed hard drive has been replaced (see "Hard Drive"

on page 85).

1 Click the Start button and point to Programs-> Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager-> Intel Matrix Storage Console to launch the Intel Storage Utility.

2 Click the Restore RAID 1 data protection button.

3 Click the Rebuild RAID volume now button.

4 Click the Yes button to start rebuilding the RAID volume to the new hard drive.

NOTE: You can use your computer while the computer is rebuilding the RAID level 1 volume.

Message Edited by JackShack on 02-22-2008 04:43 PM

9 Posts

February 23rd, 2008 12:00

Thanks for your response - unfortunately that won't work as this is an AMD board with the NVIDIA software.

The ultimate problem is that I can't enable RAID in the BIOS and then boot into Windows.  If I can't enable RAID at that point I don't think doing anything with the NVIDIA software would help, but I'll give it a shot.
No Events found!