Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 28th, 2005 15:00

I NEED HELP TO BACKUP

I am drove nots here trying to figure out how to back up my files on this computer.  When I go to the back up program, it will only allow me to backup using a A: floppy disk...is there a way I can get this to go on a CD instead...its been years since I used a floppy.

Whe I cange it to my e: drive and insert a CD is says there is nothing there!!!

HELP

428 Posts

March 28th, 2005 16:00

If you are using the backup program that is part of Windows, it won't back up to a CD. It will back up to a folder on your hard drive though, so you can do that and then burn the backup file to a CD or DVD. Other backup programs that you can buy are more versatile and can do what you want.

Ken

March 28th, 2005 16:00

Hay, emef!  I'm new here, but I'll see if I can take a stab at it.

This depends on your system specs.

In the past, I've recommended against backing up data to CDs because they are unreliable (IMO).  You are best served getting an external hard drive and using it to back up your data.  They're really not that expensive.

As far as the CD not being read, you might need to format the CD.

I'm going to assume that you have XP for now.

When you get to the back up utility and it gives you the option on which drive to back up the data to, there is a browse button.  Just click the browse button, and it'll probably say "Insert a floppy".  Just hit cancel, and a screen should come up giving you more drive options.

Hope this helps.:smileyhappy:

Erik.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 28th, 2005 21:00

No Events found!