Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2004 16:00

Inaccessible D drive

Can anyone help me? I see others have the same or similar problems accessing their D drive and after many hours of research I have yet to see a solution. Here are the symptoms: If I put a disc in my dvd rom nothing happens. If I explore to my d drive and try to access it I get a message telling me my D drive is inaccessible. However, if the disc is in there when I boot up, I can access it. If I remove it and put in another then no go. I can open a dvd and play it with power dvd. I can play a music cd with media player, but any other disc can only be read if its in when I boot up. I replaced my dvd rom with a new one but there is no difference. I don't have roxio. The device is enabled. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP and service pack 2. I have Norton virus/firewall, spybot and ad aware.

If anyone has the solution I would be eternally grateful!   Thanks

575 Posts

November 9th, 2004 18:00

Let's try this first: Go into your Device Manager (Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware), click on the "+" sign next to "DVD/CD-ROM drives", right-click on the dvd device, choose "uninstall", then "OK", uninstall the drive, re-boot, and Windows will re-install it. Post back with the result.

Tom

4 Posts

November 9th, 2004 19:00

I did as you said, it said found new hardware so I put in a disc with pictures and...no change. It says: 

D:\is not accessible
                   Incorrect function

as it did before. I don't know what else to do. I appreciate your speedy response...any other ideas?

Thank you

575 Posts

OK...The only time I've seen this error is in connection with a version of Roxio which you don't have. I found this (fairly recent) thread on the exact same error w/o Roxio http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=6227 I didn't read it completely thru but it seemed they were on the right track. If you find a cure, please post back and let me know...it may help others.

Thanks,

Tom

575 Posts

I edited my first response. I'll respond again in a bit.

Tom

Message Edited by ortleeb on 11-09-2004 04:25 PM

15.3K Posts

November 9th, 2004 20:00

Hi Sublime,

Tom`s last link covers the Microsoft article on the Incorrect Function message, unfortunately it does not help all but too although it mentions Roxio, it can happen with a number of burning programs.
Read through the link as Tom suggestioned and try the last suggestion on putting a check in the Enable CD Recording On This Drive box.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

4 Posts

November 9th, 2004 21:00

I'm impressed you guys respond to these posts. Unfortunately there is no recording tab in the properties box to check. I wish it was that easy. I'm amazed at how many people report this problem. It may or may not have something to do with Norton. Originally I used Norton but when I had to renew my original subscription I upgraded online to a better version. After I did this I could no longer download pictures from my kodak docking station, my computer no longer recognized the e drive. I finally got rid of norton and installed Mcaffee. Then I could access my e drive. I don't remember if my d drive problems started then but I do know I had the same problem (with the d drive) with Mcaffee. When my Mcaffee subscription was nearing renewal it started producing pop ups to renew. So I did. But the pop ups kept coming, like every 20 seconds. No one at Mcaffee could resolve this so I got rid of Mcaffee and got Norton pro. Norton and Mcaffee are supposed to be the best but they have a lot of bugs to work out and calling support is useless.

Anyway, my point is that I doubt the problem is Norton because I had the same problem with Mcaffee.

I do have InCD - nero that came with my yamaha cd-rw (e drive) but I can't see that as a problem.

I wish I could access my windows Picture and fax viewer program but I don't know where its located. It doesnt show up in a search, its not in programs, it just opens my pictures.

I don't know what to do besides buy a new computer. Maybe its a Dell issue.

I'm going to try uninstalling Norton, reboot and see if I can access the d drive then. I doubt that will work, I will let you know.

I've spent so many hours on this its ridiculous.

Thanks, David

4 Posts

November 9th, 2004 22:00

I uninstalled Norton Antivirus, Norton firewall and InCd and now I can access my d drive! I can use my windows firewall (any opinions?) but I didnt want to be without antivirus so I re-installed Norton antivirus and I can still access my d drive. I assume the firewall was the culprit but I suppose it could have been InCd. I dont know exactly InCd was for and it remains to be seen if it was important. I dont believe I have anything to reinstall it with anyway. If I get motivated I will reinstall the firewall and see what happens. I appreciate you guys responding to my requests for help. Perhaps someone will read this and it will help them out.

I will let you know if there are any more issues as a result of this in the future...

Thanks, David

575 Posts

November 9th, 2004 23:00

David,

Glad you found the fix...I had Norton several years ago and dumped it...its big, clunky and messed up, of all things, my recycle bin.

The following are all very good, are all compatible with SP2, are easy to set-up/use, and FREE:

For antivirus, AVG here http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/ You need to d/l the update definitions from time to time (SP2 actually alerts you to do this) but it is very easy.

For firewall, Zone Alarm here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=nav_za or Kerio Personal Firewall here http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

Best of luck,

Tom

15.3K Posts

November 10th, 2004 00:00

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback, also as Tom mentioned, you need some type of Firewall and ASAP dealing with Windows XP.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

No Events found!