Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2006 21:00

Inspiron 9300 Hard Drive Crash

I dropped my 9300. It went to "sleep" and when I turned it on, it was working fine, for the most part. The next time I turned it on, CHKDSK had to run, and it found many files "Unreadable." After that, Windows did not want to start. It has the blue screen with "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

I was told by a techie to reformat my hard drive. However, Dell did not include my Windows XP MC edition disk with the computer. Instead, a slip of paper explaining that the system could be restored from within Windows was left. The trouble is, if my computer won't boot, I can't get there.

The CHKDSK informed the techie that my Hard Drive had crashed, but I fear that something more is wrong, because of that blue screen that appears when I try to start the computer. At the bottom, it reads, "Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x825CD258, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

Is this the case of a simple Hard Drive crash? If not, what else is wrong? If so, how do I reformat?

11.9K Posts

@SomethingNormal wrote:
I dropped my 9300. It went to "sleep" and when I turned it on, it was working fine, for the most part. The next time I turned it on, CHKDSK had to run, and it found many files "Unreadable." After that, Windows did not want to start. It has the blue screen with "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

I was told by a techie to reformat my hard drive. However, Dell did not include my Windows XP MC edition disk with the computer. Instead, a slip of paper explaining that the system could be restored from within Windows was left. The trouble is, if my computer won't boot, I can't get there.

The CHKDSK informed the techie that my Hard Drive had crashed, but I fear that something more is wrong, because of that blue screen that appears when I try to start the computer. At the bottom, it reads, "Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x825CD258, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

Is this the case of a simple Hard Drive crash? If not, what else is wrong? If so, how do I reformat?

A simple hard drive crash?  No, this is likely a drive failure caused by dropping the PC, not covered by warranty (unless you have Complete Care).  Reboot and hit F12 to run Dell diagnostics. 

I turned it on, hit F12, highlighted Diagnostic, and it is currently running.

First Failed test was "DST Short Status Test; Error Code: 1000-0142; Msg: Unit 4: Drive Self Test Failed. Status byte = 70"

I told it to continue testing. There's a new thing on. The cursor is up, and a window with a few buttons, "express test" "extended test" "custom test" and "symptom tree"

I suppose I'll do the Extended Test. Opinion?

11.9K Posts

@SomethingNormal wrote:
I turned it on, hit F12, highlighted Diagnostic, and it is currently running.

First Failed test was "DST Short Status Test; Error Code: 1000-0142; Msg: Unit 4: Drive Self Test Failed. Status byte = 70"

I told it to continue testing. There's a new thing on. The cursor is up, and a window with a few buttons, "express test" "extended test" "custom test" and "symptom tree"

I suppose I'll do the Extended Test. Opinion?

You can, but you already have your answer.  You've destroyed the hard drive, hence the message you rec'd.  Time to buy a new one.

10 Posts

May 25th, 2006 20:00

You can try a quick os reinstall using the on drive media partition. When you turn the system on hold down ctrl and tap f11 you should get a dell pc restore by symantec window.Choose option to restore ( note you will lose all data on the drive) unless you have it backed up then click confirm.In 5 mins system will be set to day 1.But if you got msg 1000:0142 unit drive self test has failed that says that your hdd is faulty and will need to be replaced. I work for dell so Ive seen that code often enough to know what it meand but try the pc restore if you can.If that doesnt work then you will know the drive is gone. Hope this helps.

Message Edited by Sabrewulv on 05-25-200604:46 PM

May 26th, 2006 00:00

Thank you both. I tried that nifty system restore. It failed. The drive is kaput. I've learned plenty though.

May 29th, 2006 22:00

One more thing. When I buy this new hard drive, am I going to have to buy another copy of Windows? Or is the OS stored in another part of the computer?

10 Posts

May 30th, 2006 06:00

If you didnt get a copy of the os when you bought the system then dell supply you with 1.If  you had pc restore on your system and it seems you did then you wouldnt have got an os cd.If your system is still in warranty you shouldnt have to buy a new hard drive.Tell dell tech support you didnt get a cd.They will send 1 out for you.

11.9K Posts

May 31st, 2006 19:00

@Sabrewulv wrote:
If you didnt get a copy of the os when you bought the system then dell supply you with 1.If  you had pc restore on your system and it seems you did then you wouldnt have got an os cd.If your system is still in warranty you shouldnt have to buy a new hard drive.Tell dell tech support you didnt get a cd.They will send 1 out for you.

If the system is under warranty, they will send the CD, but they won't replace a drive destroyed in a fall.

1 Message

April 15th, 2009 04:00

I am bumping this thread up again because I have the exact same problem. I can see on the Dell site that I can order a new HDD, but how can I ask for the CD with the operating system?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2009 04:00

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

No Events found!