Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2009 12:00

Install new HD in Dimension 2400, XP

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, XP home, 2.8 pentium 4, with 80 g HD.

I think my daughter picked up a virus on her Myspace account, because now the computer will not boot up.... posted a help message in the Virus section herein.  But I also have another new hardrive (which is about identical to the original from Dell.... Western Digital WD800....but not purchased from Dell).  I thought a way to fix my prob was to install the new HD, then try to use the original HD as a slave and copy my files??  However, the new hardrive will not fully install the Dell XP operating system...it goes through most of the install, but than will not boot...says it is missing a bat file.   Help!  At this point, I am not sure what the real problem is...asked many friends and have gotten answers anywhere from a bad motherboard to Dell WP operating system will not work with a non-Dell hardrive.  Help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 5th, 2009 12:00

jkt2400

Have you replaced the 'failed' hard drive with new drive and set the 'Jumpers' to Cable Select?

You don't have to buy a replacement hard drive from Dell, their OEM copies of XP will install on all compatible hard drives, providing they are attached to a Dell motherboard.

Did you disconnect all the peripherals from the system, except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Have you followed the procedures, as detail HERE for a Manual Reinstall of XP?

Bev.

5 Posts

July 5th, 2009 16:00

jumper set to cable select, disconnected all periperals, ran software for new western Digital drive then tried to install the Windows XP......... would not install... message said there is a problem with the hardrive..... Note: this is a new hardrive (I physically opened the sealed package).... it could be bad though??  This is what prompted me to think it might be the mother board???  Your help is very much appreciated.  Is there a way to test the new hardrive?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 5th, 2009 17:00

jumper set to cable select, disconnected all periperals, ran software for new western Digital drive then tried to install the Windows XP......... would not install... message said there is a problem with the hardrive..... Note: this is a new hardrive (I physically opened the sealed package).... it could be bad though??  This is what prompted me to think it might be the mother board???  Your help is very much appreciated.  Is there a way to test the new hardrive?

jkt2400

What software did you run for the WD drive, before trying to install XP?

What problem did the message give?

All you need to use for a new IDE hard drive, is the Dell OEM copy of XP, this disc is bootable and can be used to create partitions and format the new HD, while installing XP.

Bev.

5 Posts

July 6th, 2009 07:00

tried to install the XP again last night so I could get the specific error message.......system booted this time!  not sure why, maybe it was the first time I booted directly from XP after having the machine off, and not trying to run the hardrive software first, then install XP??  hmmmm.  I will add the drivers tonight when I get home, per the instructions you provided and see how it goes.  If this hardrive works...that means my original problem was probably a virus in the original hardrive..... any suggestions on how to get the data off my original hardrive without corrupting my new drive?  I was thinking of connecting the original drive as a slave drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 6th, 2009 09:00

jkt2400

About the best that you can do, is connect the original hard drive as a slave, or attach it to a working computer, using an adaptor like HERE  and run the Anti-virus utility, before transfering the files and folders.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2009 22:00

Hi, jkt2400

You can find the Dimension 2400 Modem drivers, HERE

Look under the 'Communication' listing.

Bev.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2009 22:00

thanks for all your help.  very much appreciated.  I have the harddrive running.  Now I can't seem to get my modem working.  Do you have any idea where I can get drivers for the original modem that came with the machine?  Dell Dimension 2400

No Events found!