Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2006 14:00

Installation of DVD

I have a dell Dimension 3000 and was sent a DVD to install by Dell. I plugged in all the power cords I used the existing module strip ID as Driver 1 and Driver 2 . I put my computer together and it is reading new hardware ,but says that there is no disk when I have one installed. People have told me there is a selector switch but I don't see one. Any clues?

Thanks
Dan   

238 Posts

May 15th, 2006 15:00

Usually there is no switch, but a jumper on the back of the drive. Check to see that it's set to "CS" or "Cable Select".

It's been my experience that a drive that fails to read most often is being controlled by some piece of software.  Try a minimal boot and see it it reads the disk then.

15.3K Posts

May 15th, 2006 15:00

Hi Dan,

Here is the User Guide for your 3000 series.
As Enigma-2 mentioned, Dell ships their systems using the Cable Select Jumper setting, so do check this.
Also it is usualy a good habit to remove the "bad" drive from Device Manager before installing the new drive.
Enter the BIOS and verify that the drive(s) are turned on. May I ask, what is the name/model of the replacement drive?

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

43 Posts

May 15th, 2006 18:00

The drive I recivied from Dell for my 3000 D came packed with two software items a floppy, which I don't have and a  Cyberlink power DVD. It says at the top of the DVD "already installed on your computer". The directions which came with the box direct from Dell  says NEC and Sony  IDE CD- ROM. Another instruction manual came also which says Lite-on LTD-163 16XDVD-ROM drive users guide.

Thanks

Dan 

43 Posts

May 15th, 2006 18:00

I didn't see a cable slect at all . Just pins for module installation using existing strip

43 Posts

May 15th, 2006 19:00

Hello,

New DVD player is saying --------Error pl4013 playback failed due to a problem with video sub-system also unsupported  display mode may not have working decoder. Whats uo?

Thanks

Dan 

43 Posts

May 15th, 2006 19:00

Jeff,

I restarted my computer and the DVD stsrted to work ,but it is asking me if I want to switch drivers. I have a CD-Burner which is the other driver. I don't understand. It is a 2.0 inetr-player. It doesn't have something to read the DVD. I think.  

I think I got this information right 

Thanks

Dan 

15.3K Posts

May 16th, 2006 10:00

Hi Dan,

Two things come to mind, first uninstall the current installation of PowerDVD and then re-install. For some reason, we have seen the software not recognize a drive unitl this has been done (not always but at times). Also you should set the Region Code on the new drive as well.

Best Regards

the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

43 Posts

May 16th, 2006 21:00

Jeff,

Thanks for you help . I have done everthing (I reloaded the Dell Power DVD program) with the exception of changing the region. How do i do that?

Thanks

Dan 

43 Posts

May 16th, 2006 22:00

Jeff,

I have the DVD running Yeah!!!. Had to reload the DVD a few times. However, when the DVD is playing the sound is sort of choppy along with the viewing. What gives?

Thanks again

Dan 

43 Posts

May 17th, 2006 00:00

Jeff,

The DVD is set to region 1. Do you think I need a decoder?

Thanks

Dan

15.3K Posts

May 17th, 2006 19:00

Hi Dan,
PowerDVD is your decoder. We see choppy play at times related to the drive running in PIO mode instead of DMA.
Same CD/RW link, Section 15, article 14.
Also double check that the drive is still turned on the BIOS.

Best Regards

the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 05-17-200604:11 PM

43 Posts

May 20th, 2006 01:00

Jeff,

I tried just about everything . No luck, DVD plays but sound is choppy. 

Device 0 : Transfer mode- DMA if available

Current transfer mode - Ultra DMA mode 2

Device 1  Transfer mode DMA if available

Current Transfer mode-PIO

Thanks for the help and your time,I'll keep plugging away.

Dan

Dell D 3000 

No Events found!