Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2008 02:00

Installing 2nd IDE Internal Hard Drive in Dimension 4700

Hello,

I have recently added a 2nd Western Digital Hard (320GB) to my Dell Dimension 4700.  The computer has an SATA internal hard drive with Windows XP installed.  The installation went well.  The 2nd drive was added on the slave cable connector on the IDE cable.  The CD Rom in connected as the primary drive on the IDE cable.  I can run setup and turn on the 3rd PATA drive and everything works great.  I can see and manage the new drive perfect.  However, after a few times turning the computer on and off I get a message saying it cannot not detect the 3rd PATA drive.  If I toggle the setting in setup menu the computer will see the drive again and I can access but again it will fail to see it on subsequent power down and power ups.  I have tried all jumper settings and nothing seems to work.  I'm really lost at this point. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 24th, 2008 19:00

lieselcat

Have you tried connecting the IDE hard drive to the end of the cable, making it the 'Master' and the CD-ROM to the middle connector as the 'Slave'?

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

2 Posts

July 24th, 2008 19:00

Thanks for the reply.  I have not tried that and will do so and get back to you.
No Events found!