Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2012 09:00

Installing SSD on XPS 8500

I'm buying a xps 8500 and will want to install a SSD post purchase.  How do i go about moving Windows and Office from provided drive onto the SSD.  Is there and issure with Microsoft.   When complete do i delete them off the original HD.  Also, will this affect my warranty.  Do i need to contact Dell prior to making the changes.  I want to do this immediately after i get the computer prior to installing any other programs.  Any suggestions on SSD brand, specs, size.  I was told to get at least a 128Gb, 6GB/s and TRIM function built in.  Thanks for eveyones help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 17th, 2012 11:00

Hi Johndell,

None of this impacts your warranty. However, Dell will in some cases want you to restore the original drive image for troubleshooting certain situations under warranty.

The first thing you will want to do is to create a set of restore discs using the Dell Datasafe utility. These will allow you to restore the original OS at any time. You will need 2-3 high quality blank DVDs. (High quality means never buy Memorex for anything important.)

Then you'll need a third party program such as Acronis to clone your system partition, NOT the entire drive, to the new SSD. That will include the OS and installed applications. After you verify the SSD is booting your system, you can format the old hard drive.

2 Posts

May 17th, 2012 14:00

Thanks Osprey. When you mention reformatting the old hard drive, do you just mean the system partion i cloned?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 17th, 2012 16:00

There are three partitions on the hard drive as it comes from Dell, the OS partition, the restore partition, and the utility partition. Once you've created the restore discs, you have no need for the restore partition. The utility partition containing the diagnostics is only there for convenience. The diagnostics are just as easily run from the drivers and utilities disc or a bootable flash drive. So in theory, you could wipe and use the entire drive.

No Events found!