Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 11th, 2016 09:00

Intel Rapid Storage Warning - SATA disk on Controller 0 Port 1 failed

Hi,

I've just took delivery of a Dell XPS 8910 and have, over the last week, transferred the OS to a new SSD (Disk 2) and wiped the 2 TB Seagate HDD (Disk 0) to hold one partition for data files. All was going well until switching on today to note that the HDD data partition is now showing full (there was 1TB worth of free space on it yesterday) and the Intel Rapid Storage UI stating that the SATA disk on Controller 0 Port 1 failed.

Running error checking though properties>tools indicates that an error was found on the drive and that I should repair it. CHKDSK /f through admin cmd prompt tells me it can't find any errors. Full start up diagnostic says no errors. Dell SupportAssist states 'Passed' for the drive. SeaTools for Windows doesn't find anything wrong also. So, in summary, Intel RST states the drives has failed and Windows says there is a problem but I have no clue what. All data on the drive is fully backed up onto OneDrive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 

16.7K Posts

December 12th, 2016 08:00

knightstemplas,

If the bios settings were working and showing the SSD and HDD as you said, then no. there is no way that a TB of data just filled the HDD in one day. You can reinstall the three Intel Chipset drivers one at a time, rebooting after each one. Then retest.to verify.

December 12th, 2016 08:00

Thanks.

I think I found the culprit. Checking over everything, I noticed that Windows Update had installed Windows Modules Installer in the time between healthy HDD and failure. A quick Google search did show that this program is often the culprit of maxing out a HDD. WIndows 10 being new to me, I'd actually switched on the File History function with recorded changes to be saved to the DATA HDD. What appears to have happened was the install of the WIndows Modules Installer caused File History to duplicate every single file from the OS hence why it maxed out the secondary HDD.

A manual delete of the Files History folder restored the HDD to it's previous free space availability. I've now switched off the File History option.

This action didn't fix the Intel Rapid Storage Warning message but clicking the "normal" link seems to have put the status back in the green again. Error checking through properties>tools for the HDD now reports 'no errors' so I guess the previous result was due to it being totally maxed out.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 12th, 2016 10:00

knightstemplas,

Glad you resolved the error., Thanks for posting you resolutions back to the forum.

No Events found!