Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2006 18:00

Internal DVD burner for Inspiron 5100?

Hi, I've scanned hundreds of posts on this topic, but can't find a satisfactory answer.
I have an Inspiron 5100, which came installed with the CD RW/DVD Combo Drive. I'd like to purchase an internal DVD+RW burner, but Dell doesn't seem to sell them anymore. I've looked on several websites and can find numerous such drives (from Sony, NEC, Memorex, etc), but obviously I want it to be compatible with my 5100. How can I tell in advance whether a drive will fit? Most of the model specs I've seen don't mention compatibility, only that the connectivity is EIDE or IDE. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

14.4K Posts

December 6th, 2006 21:00

the drive has a standard specification so most should fit unless like the 700m, dell has used a proprietry outer casing.

December 10th, 2006 08:00

Its better you call up tech support and they would be able to tell you whether there is a compatible dvd-burner for you Insp5100 or not.If there is one,the you can purchase it through Dell Spare parts.

12 Posts

December 11th, 2006 15:00

Thanks, I did contact Tech Support and they told me the part is N7856. It costs $160 from Dell, which seems quite high considering the prices I can find on the internet for internal DVD burners. I'm going to keep shopping around.
No Events found!