Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 15th, 2006 03:00

Internal hard drive not found

I cannot boot up at all. The screen comes up "internal hard disk drive not found" and "internal HDD hard error" I am out of warranty now. I tried the "fn" key with start up for a diagnostic test. It passed  except the "Dst short test Fail"  In the bios under the Device Info the primary hard drive says "none" I should of said early this is a inspirion 6000 with a 40gb hard drive.  The error code under the dst short test was "1000-0141" with one beep followed by 4 beeps then one beep again and finished with three rapid beeps twice. 

I followed a dell procedure by removing the optical drive and battery.  Reseating the hard drive. Plugging in the power cord only and rebooted without success.  I will try this again later. Still not sure if its hard drive, optical drive or motherboard. Anyone have any suggestions.  

14.4K Posts

September 15th, 2006 08:00

sounds like you need a new hdd.

4 Posts

September 16th, 2006 19:00

I just got the same error on my (used) 600m. Its got a 30GB internal drive. It worked fine the last time I fired it up and the computer has not been moved since the last time I used it. I'll try re-seating the drive and if that doesn't work it looks like I'll be springing for a new hard drive.

1 Message

September 18th, 2006 04:00

I am having this same issue with my Inspiron 8600.  The reseating fixed it for a day, but now it kicks me out halfway through startup.  Customer service is closed until tomorrow.  Has anyone contacted them and gotten any info from Dell?

4 Posts

September 18th, 2006 21:00

I ended up replacing my hard drive. I was pressed for time and bargain hunting wasn't an option so I went to CompUSA and got a Samsung (probably not the best choice) 60GB drive.

53 Posts

September 19th, 2006 01:00

I went ahead an ordered a dell 40gb hard drive. I was surprised how fast i got it. Ordered friday and recieved monday afternoon. I just went ahead and switched them out.  I rebooted with relief, It now registered that i had a 40gb hard drive. So now i will be spending some time trying to get everything back to the way it was.

1 Message

July 26th, 2007 14:00

I have an Inspiron 6000 that's been showing this message. SInce I have an extended warranty on it I need to call Support. My husband is the computer literate one in the house but with the account in my name they'll have to put up with me. I put it off for awhile since I have a second newer laptop and my husband bought an external hard drive to back up the older laptop too. I can't afford to lose any of my work.

Day before yesterday I used the 6000 and got the "internal hard drive can't be found" message. Can't do anything but shut down.

Got on it yesterday and found everything gone including all my Word Files which luckily have been backed up. All my music, photos, wallpaper, everything. When I clicked on my music file it showed up as something brand new.

So...has anyone else had that happen? And yes, I know, I really do need to call Support now!

Linda

53 Posts

July 26th, 2007 20:00

Its been awhile since I repaired this laptop. To bring you up to date. The 40g hard drive from Dell was brand new. That was nice. It worked just fine for 6 months. Then I had the same problem come up. A bad hard drive. Since it was new and not refurbished, it was still covered under warranty. The replacement was  40g hard drive but  refurbished. With  only a 90 day warranty. In retrospect I now would of bought a much larger hard drive. Minimum 60g hard drive or larger.  Also not a hard drive at 5400 rpm. I would of gone to 7200 rpm. I had made cd copy of all the necessary drivers needed for this computer earlier. So reinstalling all software, etc. went a lot faster. Since then the computer has been running just fine.

September 24th, 2008 15:00

I am at a library after my warranty with dell ended Iforgot to replace

it and I am in the WindowsXP section dont have the disk at all but do

have 900 computers to copy a cd from Im trying it. I did try to book a

disk in CDdvd rom drive and it started booting the CD until it asked me

for my login and I typed my name then enter and then the password I

had no password for the disk I was trying to boot a software program

The library has 900 computers I forget how but I need an MSdos disk

My computer is dead does nothing but diagnostics it will do this.

I got a WindowsMe95 cd from the library and tried to boot with this

it would not work I have WindowsXP Home edition with a dell inspiron

1200 may have been recalled with the battery.  The libary don't have

the WindowsXP disk however just the book it is not instructional at all

about errors.

September 24th, 2008 16:00

Yes....and you have to take the computer to a technician locally

and have them remove the hard drive from your computer and

connect it to a working system and back up or copy the data

you have left It happened to me twice.  I called a local technician

wanted $35.00 per hour to do this.  Then......you can re-install

the hard drive into your computer and re-install it like brand new