Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2013 21:00

Is Seagate Momentus XT 1 TB/7200RPM/32MB/8GBPS/2.5" COMPATIBLE WITH Inspiron N5110 Laptop & how can i install my current win 7 to the momentus SSHD(without Win 7 installation disk)

in reference to the title, i would like to know the compatibility of the SSHD to Inspiron N5110 Laptop.

Besides that, how can i install my current licensed Win 7 into the SSHD (Preferably OS installation on the 8GB NAND memory) without the installation CD?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 11th, 2013 05:00

I don't see why the Momentus XT wouldn't work with the N5110 - it will physically fit into the system and the system will easily support a 1 T drive.

You cannot, however, use the SSD cache built into the drive separately - it is used by the drive electronics and isn't separately user-accessible.

Before you begin the job of replacing the drive in this system, be sure you read the service manual - it isn't an easy job (you must remove the system board to access the hard drive on this model - meaning just about everything has to be disassembled in order to access the drive.

You can clone the existing drive to the new one using True Image, which Seagate supplies -- however, to do this you will need a USB drive enclosure to hold one of the drives while you do the cloning operation.

249 Posts

July 11th, 2013 02:00

Hi

Good day and welcome to the community!

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, the seagate momentus XT is not compatible with the Inspiron N5110. However, if you wanted to upgarde the current Hard drive to an SSD. You can use Dell 128GB SATA 2.5" Solid State Drive Only. And for the OS installation, you will need a full pack disk to install. Hope this helps. For anything else, just let me know and I'm glad to assist further.

Thanks and Regards,

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 11th, 2013 19:00

You can mount any standard SATA notebook drive in an 2.5" external case, yes.

The Momentus XT is a nice drive (I have one in a notebook) -- it's not SSD fast but it's faster than a standard drive.  The Momentus XT is a 7200 rpm drive;  the newer  SSDHs are slower (5400).

Seagate has ATI for download.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2013 19:00

Thanks ejn63!

just notice on how the NAND flash works in the momentus XT AFTER i made this post.

Still, the idea Momentus of putting flash as "additional RAM"(so to say, literally) in an HDD to allow faster reading do serve as a good concept in my perception.

my next inquiries would be: USB drive enclosure that you mentioned, is it refer to standard casing that could be used to convert standard HDD or SSD to external hard drive?

The True Image that u mentioned, by saying seagate supplied, does this means it comes together with the SSHD? or i have to download it elsewhere, like seagate official website?

No Events found!