Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2005 17:00

Kodak Picture CD .... need help

Hoping someone could help me.  Bought a Kodak Picture CD at the drugstore and the pictures won't come up on my computer.  Has anyone had this problem and can anyone help fix this for me?
Thanks.

9 Posts

It also says that the pictures on the CD are jpeg files.

9 Posts

Jeff,

How do I look at them through Windows Explorer.  If I go to My Computer and click on the CD rom drive a Pictures Folder does not come up, so I don't think the computer is even reading the pictures on the CD.  Thank you for your help.

KodakCD 

15.3K Posts

KodakCD,

I ran a quick Google search, can you view the contents of the disc through Windows Explorer, are the files in
.jpg or .pcd file format?

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

15.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2005 18:00

KodakCD,

Insert the disc and hold the "shift" key down, next go Windows Explorer, not MY Computer, see if you can access the files on the disc now. These are jpg so you should be able to open them with Windows default program.

Best Regards

difference.

CD/RW Link

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 19:00

Jeff,

Tried opening in Windows Explorer and nothing was there either.  Any other thoughts???

Thanks

KODAKCD

15.3K Posts

KodakCD,

I am currently viewing Kodak`s Support Page & FAQ, going to ask a question, what is the name/model of your optical drive, if you happen to have two, have you tried the disc in both and can you tell if this is a CD or DVD disc?
Is this the only disc you are having problems with?

Best Regards

PS: I found this:
KODAK Picture CD v5.x and earlier does not support WINDOWS XP. You might consider installing the latest version of KODAK EasyShare Software to view your images on WINDOWS XP. You can download EasyShare Software at: www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw. There is no charge for this download.

difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 10-22-2005 04:42 PM

9 Posts

We've been able to view pictures from other companies CDs; it just seems to be the Kodak type that is giving us problems.  We only have one CD drive.

I'll check out the link you just posted.  Thanks for your help.

15.3K Posts

KodakCd,

My wife and I are going out, so I will not be back for awhile. I will drop John & Mike (two excellent Regulars) a note to review your thread, hopefully they may be able to address this better than I.

Take care

difference.

CD/RW Link

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 22:00

John and Mike,

Any ideas here would be appreciated.  We went back to the drugstore and there were pictures on the CD; as we thought it might not have been burned successfully.

Thanks.

KODAKCD

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2005 01:00

We tried the picture cd in a friend's laptop and it played without a problem.  This leads me to believe that there is a problem with our Dell computer or the CD drive.  Any other recommendations????

KODAKCD

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2005 10:00

KodakCD: Kodak has two formats for CDs. Photo CD discs store images using a proprietary file format (Image Pac) in various levels of resolution. Picture CD, on the other hand, employs the more common JPEG format in one resolution (1024 x 1536 pixels). Are you sure this is a Picture CD? If it is a Picture CD, you should be able to browse the disc using Explorer or My Computer. Please post your system model and especially what CD drives you have. If you're not sure, look in Deveice Manager (Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device manager).

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2005 13:00

Osprey,

I checked and first I have a Kodak Picutre CD.  My Dell Dimension Desktop has a

DVD/CD-ROM Drive and underneath it says the following: HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8483B

15.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2005 13:00

KodakCD,

Your drive is a standard CD-ROM and not a DVD/CD device, below is the Dell information:

User Guide for your drive:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Dell does have a firmware update which states:
Fixes & Enhancements:
This firmware improves the HLDS GCR-8483B 48X CD ROM drive's media readability capabilities

Firmware for your drive:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R100582&formatcnt=1&fileid=130199

You might consider giving it a try.

Best Regards,
Jeff

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2005 16:00

Jeff,

The 2nd link you posted worked.  We downloaded the enhancement fix and pictures are loading on our computer as we speak.  The family is very appreciative.

How do you guys know so much???  You saved us long hold times with those Dell people.  Again thanks for everything.

KODAKCD

15.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2005 16:00

Hi KodakCD,

Very glad to hear the firmware helped the drive !!

Good luck with your system and a little early but best wishes for the upcoming Holiday Season!!

the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

No Events found!