Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2014 08:00

Latitude D630 upgrade from HDD to SSD

Running WIN 7 x64.  HDD (80 GB) runs w/o a hitch.  have a new SSD (240GB).   After "error free" clone of WIN7 to new SSD, and subsequent install of SSD, WIN7 boots, and all my files are OK, BUT.......

WLM, WIN troubleshooting, WIN upgrade, and IE (won't D/L from web), all fail.  WLM fails with error 0x8e5e0247 error, which Microsoft uses for other problems as well. Have not been able to get definitive answer to abv error, but seems HDD to SSD produces this error across the laptor spectrum of manufactues, including DELL.  

Am wondering if there might be a H/W hitch in D630 when going from 80GB HDD to 240 SSD??

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2014 11:00

Stop the Windows update service (start-run-services.msc, locate the service and stop it).

Go to c:\windows\ and locate the SoftwareDistribution folder.  Delete the folder (or if you want to be super-cautious, make a copy of it or rename it).

Resart the windows update service.  Then try running your applications (including windows update) again.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2014 12:00

That will usually clear most update problems.  If you have an Internet security suite active (Norton, McAfee/Intel, etc.) you might also check its proxy settings. 

3 Posts

December 27th, 2014 12:00

EJN63:  thanks for the reply. It seems you are targeting the WIN Update Service, and the comments are welcomed.

Do you believe that instructions on the update service may also clear the other errors??   My reasoning here is that IE will not D/L files from the web...... so if the suggestion does not clear the IE problem, I'll not be able to tell if WIN Update is working.......kind of catch 22....

Thanks

No Events found!