Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2009 09:00

Load/Unload cycle count grows extremely fast

Hi.

My system is an Studio1555. P8600, 3GB RAM, Wifi Intel 5100 AGN, 1600x900 Led Backlight, 320GB HD.

My SO is Windows Vista Home Premium.

The problem is with te hard disk, in this case a Samsung HM320II (According to Everest an other softwares).

I received the notebook 7 days ago. At this time,  the Load/Unload cycle counter has the value 84.264 and increases about 17.000 cycles per day.

This is a extremely bad thing, because in less than 2 months, the disk will exceed 600,000 cycles over which the manufacturer ensures the reliability of the disk.

I do not know what to do about it. Is it a hard disk failure? Does the bios? Operating System?

To achieve the value that I have reached similar systems to mine delayed 4 or more year.

Is a disaster.
I appreciate whoever can help me.

Regards.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 15th, 2009 05:00

Hi, MGB:

If you do a bit of research, you'll learn that there is no correlation between load/unload cycle count and drive failure. It's a well debunked myth.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2009 08:00

Hi osprey.

I have read about what you said. But I never saw the cycles grow so quickly. I have compared with other notebooks, which increased on average 15,000 cycles per year. Now at 11 days of use, my counter is at 123,647.
Anyway I can do anything. Just wait for the disk fails and the warranty replacement. Or like you said, not to fail ever.

Thanks for your reply.
Greetings.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2009 09:00

This is an APM (Advanced Power Management) problem caused by Samsung's default APM value, and I've seen my friend's Samsung drive damaged by this problem. Solution is to use some applications, for instance QuietHDD recommended, you can use it and here is my detailed instruction about QuietHDD, http://sites.google.com/site/jyc860923/default/technical/quiethdd

I'm sure it does help!

5 Posts

September 9th, 2009 09:00

Hi jyc.
There is no case, even with values Quiet HDD 255 and 254 in APM and AAM, the problem persists.
In addition the disc has already reached the 450,000 cycles. So if there is a patch for this problem, I first want that Dell's warranty replace the disk and then will apply the patch, as this disc has been worn too within 1 month of use.
I do not understand why there is no way to report this problem to Dell's development sector.

Thanks for your help.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2009 04:00

hi mgb,

i'm sorry it didn't help your situation, and i see what problem you are in, since dell won't admit this bug. as i've said before, samsung drives do especially bad in load/unload cycling, and if you still wanna have a try on software tuning, try "crystaldiskinfo" because it does better support on SATA drives, not like me using old PATA style.

450,000 in one month is incredible bad, and i believe it's worn out, anyway i suggest you to backup your data and in case dell won't help, replace it with a hitachi drive, hitachi drives seem not having this APM problem yet.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2009 07:00

hi mgb

it sounds strange that crystaldiskinfo is not working, but let me guess, this situation may happen when people are using some disk protection software like "shadow defender" because they insert virtual disk driver into the system, I've tried that too.

generally speaking, dell laptops provide mass options in BIOS, which should contain bios level aam/apm control. but it also depends on the bios configuration. some bios system (for instance, my lenovo, insyde bios) may not provide options that much and what makes it worse is that the bios system doesn't "apply" the value you set, this is a trouble, so i used to suggest to use quiethdd for real time monitoring and tuning.

but even if your problem roots from bios configuration, 450,000/month is still too bad even for a samsung drive. it's the truth that you must replace the drive if you make sure the number is growing and you from time to time hear the clicking sound. i used to know in my region, northeast China, the after sale service was very good, they would resolve this if you told them so; but under the financial crisis, maybe, now they must charge to replace the disk if it's not down yet. i guess the policies should be better in some other places.

check the bios updates if there is any. i hope dell can help this.

5 Posts

September 10th, 2009 07:00

Hello again.
I tried with CrystalDiskInfo and still not working.
I have a doubt. Is this problem exclusive for the hard drive, or is a BIOS configuration problem? I have this doubt because I see that the bios has no options AAM and APM, in addition to note that this model (Studio 1555) was taken hastily market. What makes me believe that these options were taken out from the BIOS because the development was not ready.
You tell me that Dell does not recognize this bug. Does the warranty will replace the drive? Dell must replace them.

Thanks and regards.

5 Posts

September 30th, 2009 16:00

Hi.

At this point, te load/unload counter has reached 650.000 cicles. Surpassing the 600.00 cicles in which Samsung ensures the correct operation of the hard disk.

I tried a variety of programs to try to reduce wear, but none of them gave positive results. :emotion-7:

Still no news about BIOS updates. I continue to make regular backups and wait for the disk failure.

Greetings.

No Events found!