Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2012 14:00

Looking for Insprion 1525 250 GB driver for Western Digital ATA WDC WD2500BEVS-75UST0

I trashed my Vista partition on my Isprion 1525 and am trying to reinstall the OS.  I am using the OS reinstall with Drivers and Utilities disk that came with the computer.  When I try to re-install the OS I get to the part where you load the Drivers and utilities CD to load a driver for the hard disk.  The Windows install program scans the CD but no driver for my hardware.  So my search began.

Going to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-1525 to get the driver, for the ATA it only has a driver for a Seagate drive.  Looking this drive up and it is a 500 GB drive.  I have a running Ubuntu partition that works great on my 1525 and recognizes it as a WD2500BEVS which is a Western Digital drive.  I pulled the drive to verify and it i a Western Digital drive at 250 GB.

I then went to the Western Digital site at http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=702&lang=en and there does not seem to be any drivers there.  They have diagnostic utilities but not a basic driver. 

Does anybody know how I can find a driver for the Western Digital ATA WDC WD2500BEVS-75UST0 250 GB drive that will work on my Inspiron 1525?  I hope I am just looking in the wrong places.

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 30th, 2012 15:00

Hi jdeal ,

Welcome to the Community.

I understand your concern and I see that you are trying to search for the drivers for the Harddrive on your computer.

Basically your Harddrive does not require a driver to install the Harddrive it will be automatically detected by the Windows Installation.

Please let me know if you are able to view the Harddrive in the list during the Windows installation. Also let me know which Operating system you are trying to install.

Please reply back for any questions.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Ravi_Chandra

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 31st, 2012 05:00

Go into the BIOS setup and change the drive from AHCI/SATA mode to ATA compatible mode.  Then load Windows.

F2 at powerup.

10 Posts

August 1st, 2012 10:00

I am new to this community and faces the same problem in installation of win 7 to may sata 320 GB wetern digital hard drive. I have up dated BIOS to A-21. I have already installed sata 80 GB which works fine with win 7. now I want to upgrade to 320 GB hard drive. The problem I faces , is, windows asks for device driver for installation. Image of the same is enclosed herewith. please help me in this regard.

Image is: windows cannot be installed to this disk, the computer hardware may not sport booting to this disk. Ensure that disks controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I changed disk operation from AHCL to ATA but it does not work.

On the driver option it requires disk driver.

8 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 04:00

Thanks but this did not help.  In fact, none of the drivers came up as being a possible candidate with the "Hide drivers not compatible with  this computer" is checked.  It is not surprising since the factory setting was AHCI.  Thanks for the suggestion.

8 Posts

Hello Dell_Ravi_Chandra.

When I boot the Recovery Disk and get to the par (via Recovery or Custom Install) where it reaches the part "Where do you want to install Windows?" where it has a blank text area and a "Load Driver" button.  I click "Load Drivers" and a message comes up stating to load media which contains the drivers.  I then load the CD "Drivers and Utilities" that came with my computer.  I have the "Hide drivers not compatible with hardware on this computer".  I have selected every folder that I think could be relevant; all the I386 folders (this is 32-bit Vista).  Some will display a selection that seems to be a SATA controller.  However, when I click "Next" it always returns to the same window with an empty textbook and the title "Where do you want to install Windows?".

I actually have the drivers that were physically on the system since I have a Ubuntu partition and was able to read the NTFS volume fine.  I loaded those (drivers\storage\*.*) via a USB drive and the install disk rejected those also.

I have a Windows 7 64-bit DVD (via Microsoft Academic Alliance) that I want to install and tried the same procedure but with the same results.  If I can bet it back to 32-bit Vista (the original OS) that is better than nothing.

As noted in my original post, the drivers under Dell support for the Inspiron 1525 seem to be Seagate 500 GB drive drivers but the disk (which is original) is a Western Digital 250 GB.

I tried all of this again but no change.  Any help would be appreciated.

8 Posts

Sorry.  My last reply was to ejn63.

I should also mention that this is a dual-boot system and I am running Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit fine.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 08:00

Hi jdeal,

It's not clear to me whether you are trying to install from a Dell Vista reinstallation disc.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 16:00

Hi jdeal,

Basically your Harddrive does not require a driver to install the Harddrive it will be automatically detected by the Windows Installation.So may be as you have installed Dual Operating system and partition is with a different file system of linux.Which may be causing the issue.

Also the driver which you have downloaded for the harddrive is an firmware update for the Hard drive its not the drivers.

Please check for the issue without the dual OS on the computer.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Ravi_Chandra

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

8 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 16:00

Sorry for the very late response.  I wanted up upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit but that did not work so I attempted to restore the original system (in its own partition) using the original system restore plus original drivers and utility disks which came with the computer.  It stated it could not find a driver for the hard-drive even from the original drivers and utility disk.  Note also this is a original Western Digital hard drive but it seems the Dell-supplied drivers are for Seagates.

As noted above, the interesting part is the Ubuntu side can read the NFTF partition fine.

I have basically given up on this and about to over-write the NTFS partition with Debian 64-bit since I am working on an open-source project which is based on that OS.

Thanks again for your help.

No Events found!