Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2009 15:00

Missing D Drive

I called Dell Support yesterday trying to find out how to recover my D drive which seemed to have disappeared from my Dell desktop 1100.  The tech walked me through a few steps and got me to the point where I could at least see the D drive, but instead of the program disk I had inserted, it contained the same folders that were in my C drive.  He tried to assist via remote access but my cell phone signal was too weak and we got disconnected. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to try to regain use of CD Rom drive keeping in mind I'm not too tech savvy?  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Kate

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 25th, 2009 18:00

Hi, Kate:

This problem can usually be solved by deleting the upper and lower filters, a process described in the CD/DVD FAQ under "code 39 error".

Let me know if that worked.

1 Message

September 5th, 2009 20:00

My D drive d vanished also.  I put a CD in and it acts like it wants to recognize it, but quits. I need step by step instructions to fix the problem. Anybody have instructions to get my D drive back. My computer is a XPS/Dimension 410/9200. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Dennis

10.9K Posts

September 5th, 2009 22:00

Dennis,

Look in the Device Manager .........

Start | Control Panel | System in classic view | Hardware tab | Device Manager

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  This will reveal the Brand and Model of
drive.  Please post that.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2009 16:00

Problem With Dell XPS 1330 DVD/CD driver (Matshita DVD+RW UJ-857G ATA Device)

Dear All,

I have Dell laptop XPS M1330 and I have a problem with my DVD/CD-ROM drives Matshita DVD+RW UJ-857G ATA Device It does not read or write on any dvd or cd can you please help ASAP What should I do?

Under Device status it states : this device cannot start (Code 10)

10.9K Posts

September 8th, 2009 18:00

jaymee4647,

Try the Microsoft article for the operating system you have.

This article for Windows XP ...............

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

This article for Windows Vista ...........

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461

5 Posts

October 7th, 2009 13:00

I have a missing D drive - It does not show up in "My Computer". There is no DVD/CD-ROM drive listed in my Device Manager.

I think I may have accedently ejected the D drive when I was trying to eject a CD from the drive. Can that be done? The drive seems to work when I put a CD in, it runs but it won't  launch. It seems like the computer doesn't know the drive is there or how to communcate with it.

This happend after loading a Microsoft Office Access Runtime application, maybe this cause some kind of conflict. I've also not been able to use my Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 program. Although this may just be because the D drive is missing.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX270 running Windows XP 2002 with service pack 3.

I tried the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/ but that did not work.

Can anyone help  with this?

Thank you.

10.9K Posts

October 7th, 2009 19:00

Does the drive show in the Set-up (BIOS)?  Press F2 at
start-up while the blue Dell is still on the screen to
enter the Set-up.  In there, look under drive configuration.

5 Posts

October 9th, 2009 11:00

Thank you for your assistance.

Per your instructions I looked in the drive configuration and this is what it said:

Diskette Drive A . . . 3.5 in, 1.44 MB
SATA Primary Drive . . . off
SATA Secondary Drive . . . off
Primary Master Drive . . . Hard Drive
Primary Secondary Drive . . . off
Secondary Master Drive . . . CD-ROM Device
Secondary Slave Drive . . . off
IDE Drive UDMA . . . on

I’m not sure what that means. What next?

Thank you,
Jacki B

10.9K Posts

October 9th, 2009 12:00

From the information you post, the CD drive is seen in the BIOS.
Yet, you say it does not show in the Device Manager. 

I would power the system off and redo the connectiopns to the back
of the drive.  Trace the flat ribbon cable to the motherboard and
redo the connection there also.

Power the system on and check the Device Manager under DVD/CD-ROM
drives again.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2010 07:00

I still haven't been able to get my CD/DVD drive to work. I had someone who knows a little more about computers try to help me but we didn’t have any luck.

The problem started when I mistakenly ejected the D drive (CD/DVD drive). When I put a CD in the drive spins and seems to work, but it seems that Windows doesn’t recognize the CD/DVD drive.

When we look in the BIOS it lists Secondary Master Dr - CD-Rom Device, however, the CD/DVD drive is missing in Device Manager.

Per your instructions we turned off the computer; disconnected the CD/DVD drive; then reconnected it; and restarted the computer. This did not work. We also tried restarting with the drive disconnected; then shutting down; reconnecting the drive; and then restarting again. This did not work either.

We set the BIOS sequence to boot from the CD before hard drive and it will not boot from the XP install CD. It just ignored the CD and opened Windows.

The CD/DVD drive is a Samsung SM-348B. Would this have software that could be reinstalled? We looked online at Samsung’s website and found the CD/DVD drive but didn’t see any software/driver to download.

Do you think getting a new internal drive would work? If the computer can’t recognize the current internal drive how would it recognize a new one?

Any suggestions?

Thank you, Jacki B

5 Posts

January 11th, 2010 07:00

I still haven't been able to get my CD/DVD drive to work. I had someone who knows a little more about computers try to help me but we didn’t have any luck.

The problem started when I mistakenly ejected the D drive (CD/DVD drive).

When I put a CD in the drive spins and seems to work, but it seems that Windows doesn’t recognize the CD/DVD drive.

When we look in the BIOS it lists Secondary Master Dr - CD-Rom Device, however, the CD/DVD drive is missing in Device Manager.

Per your instructions we turned off the computer; disconnected the CD/DVD drive; then reconnected it; and restarted the computer. This did not work. We also tried restarting with the drive disconnected; then shutting down; reconnecting the drive; and then restarting again. This did not work either.

We set the BIOS sequence to boot from the CD before hard drive and it will not boot from the XP install CD. It just ignored the CD and opened Windows.

The CD/DVD drive is a Samsung SM-348B. Would this have software that could be reinstalled? We looked online at Samsung’s website and found the CD/DVD drive but didn’t see any software/driver to download.

Do you think getting a new internal drive would work? If the computer can’t recognize the current internal drive how would it recognize a new one?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Jacki B

1 Message

August 22nd, 2010 12:00

Same problem here with a M1330 and Matshita DVD+-RW UJ-857G ATA device running Vista 32 bit Ultimate. I have followed many threads and tried fault finding apps to no avail. Happy to buy a new drive if that is what it takes but not much confidence of that. The XPS M1330 should be one of the top spec range so disappointed to say the least!

Drive doesn't read genuine Windows/Dell disks, audio disks or write to TDK blanks. When exploring the drive, I am taken to Start Menu. I have removed iTunes too. Checked diagnostics in BIOS. Removed upper and lower. Checked firmware etc but totally at a loss.

Can anyone help me fix or advise a suitable replacement drive?

Thanx

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 07:00

I never did get my D drive to work. I don’t use the D drive much so I didn't want to waste any more time on it. My quick and easy solution was to go out and buy a new external drive. It works fine.

1 Message

September 26th, 2010 10:00

Thanks. I'm running Windows 7, but the Vista link worked. I used the "Fix it for me" program and it got my Matshita DVD+-RW drive working immediately.

No Events found!