Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2010 19:00

My windows XP won't start. I get a blue screen saying that I have to run CHKDSK /F?

And to run CHKDSK my windows actually needs to start. I tried safe mode, debugging mode, all options available after pressing F8. Is there a way go directly to DOS at startup or boot from something else other than the hard drive becasue that is where the corruption has occured? How? I no longer have the XP CDs.

Dell Inspiron 600m XP Home.

Thank you!

38 Posts

March 8th, 2010 12:00

Go here and buy the PowerSuite 2010 and make the Win PE CD and boot from it. To do so you may need to change a BIOS setting to allow first boot from the CD-ROM drive. Lots of recovery tools.

The other less expensive (i.e.- FREE) way is to make a BartPE disk ( http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ ) and while not hard if you follow the instructions, it might be beyond what you want to undertake. To use this, you would again boot off the CD-drive and then when BartPE comes up. you open a command window and type

CHKDSK C: /r

the /r command not only does what the /f command does (fixes files) but also maps out bad sectors on the hard disk.

best of luck

steve

No Events found!