Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 26th, 2008 23:00

NTDSAPI.dll 'not valid image' message

Could use whatever help is out there and hope that this is the appropriate forum. I ran my Embarq virus scan this morning, then restarted my Dell Dimension 2400 (about five years old). Windows XP looks like it is starting up then I get a message that reads: The application or DLL C:/WINDOWS/system32/NTDSAPI.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I've tried F2 and F12 options for setup/startup, referenced by some comments from an earlier post. Computer won't start in safe mode or 'last good configuration'.  Also, won't read the Windows XP installation disk that I have in the CD drive.

??Thanks...

1.9K Posts

April 27th, 2008 07:00

Well, you've got to be able to get it to read that XP CD (F12, boot from IDE CDROM/ATAPI) before you can move forward, imo.

Once you can boot to the CD, then you'll probably want to run an XP repair either from the recovery console to execute a CHKDSK /F ( or even a fixmbr ) command (in an effort to check and this fix any/all errors found on the drive) or perhaps ultimately a full XP repair install if possible.

Unless you can remove the hard drive and connect it to another system where it can be viewed through Windows (and then the CHKDSK could be run via My Computer/(drive letter)/ "Tools" tab/Error checking....

Message Edited by NVRambo on 04-27-2008 03:07 AM
No Events found!