Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2016 18:00

New HDD won't boot automatically

Hi,

So here's the story:

About 4 years ago i bought a new desktop computer with windows 8 preinstalled. Everything worked fine, and it updated to windows 8.1 fine. Last year in July, it updated to windows 10. Randomly, a week ago, my hard drive completely crashed and i was forced to get a new one. I got a new hard drive from best buy and put it into the computer.

I had to install windows 10 on the new hard drive, so i used the windows media creation tool to download the windows 10 ISO and installed it on a USB using a third party program called Rufus. In order to boot into that usb and install windows 10 on the hard drive, i had to boot into BIOS and change Secure Boot to disabled. This way, I can press F12 when the computer turns on and it would give a list of the different devices i can boot into.

I held F12 and chose the usb and installed windows 10. After several restarts, the computer booted into the windows on the hard drive and everything worked fine. After this, i shut down the computer and took out the usb, and rebooted and didn't press any key. Except now, an error message pops up that says:
"No boot device available. SATA 0: Installed SATA 1: Installed"

However, BIOS does detect the hard drive and even has information for it. The boot order in BIOS is also set so "Internal HDD Devices" is first.

I spoke with a Dell Technical Support guy and he said to press F9 and reload the defaults, and it gave me a warning that said it would clear all secure boot keys but the representative said to do it anyway. After doing this, Internal HDD Device is still the first boot option and secure boot is still disabled, but the no boot device available error still pops up. 

The problem is that it won't automatically boot into the hard drive.

1.)Should I update my BIOS firmware?

OR

2.) Should I try to locate the CD that most desktops come with to restore it to it's original out of box state and then update to windows 10 the normal way? (and would restoring it using the CD fix the BIOS settings to the original state too?) 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 13th, 2016 17:00

Hi Mikez900,

I assume your system has UEFI and that you've set it to legacy boot, correct? Does the system boot with the reinstall flash drive plugged in?

Just as a possible troubleshooting tutorial, see if this page has any ideas. Don't download any of the gimmicky utilities, just follow the instructions.

No Events found!