Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2007 14:00

No movies

When I upgraded to xp from millenium on my dimension 4100 I ran upgrade report first and it said "Directcd 3 has a known compatability issue with this version of windows. Drivers installed by this
program might cause system instability, including problems with shutdown/restart and inability to use a dvd drive.. for more information contact Roxio Inc. .."
Easy cd creator 4
Music match jukebox
It also said under "dvd Movie player" 
Windows detected a dvd movie player or decoder that may be incompatible. You may have to upgrade the decoder after setup completes.
I deleted the drive for the upgrade because millenium was just SO BAD. Since then everything runs fine but I can't rent a movie and watch it. The dvd drive works fine. How do fix this?    Thanks!

10.9K Posts

November 27th, 2007 15:00

If you are looking for a DVD Decoder, try VLC Media Player to see if it will do the job .............

or if you just want the codecs ............

35 Posts

November 29th, 2007 16:00

Thanks for your help skybird. I downloaded the open source vlc player since I mostly use my fedora laptop anyway and I can share. I was glad to see dell fire up ubuntu and may even look into installing it on the dimension 4100. :-)

35 Posts

February 5th, 2008 16:00

I wasn't happy with the vlc player as most video snippets sent by email wouldn't open with it as they are tagged wmv. I uninstalled it and downloaded klkodec370b.exe and installed the codec pack. windows media stll won't play dvd movie again. Is there a tweak and why does microsoft insist on making us miserable?

No Events found!