Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2012 17:00

Optical drive won't read any disks - DVD+/-RW (Read/Write) (BIOS problem)

Hi,

I placed an order for an Alienware X51 on the 18/7/12 and it arrived on the 27/09/2012.

I noticed the problem a week later when I put in the first disk which was GTA IV, the desktop started making a chirping noise and a notification popped up from my anti-virus saying that a removable device was detected. I tried another few disks and the same problem persisted. Every time I insert a disk my anti-virus starts scanning it, I can open the disk an double-click auto-run which plays the disc like it should. I've been busy so I haven't found the time to try fix this but now the problem is starting to get really annoying. For the amount of money I paid for this I would expect for this to work without a hitch, I've tried e-mailing Customer Support but it says that this service is not supported by my product.

Another problem I have is that every time I turn on my computer it goes into the BIOS and I have to press "Save changes and reset" for the computer to start up. If I select "Discard changes and reset" or anything else it goes back in the BIOS screen. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to make sure I had all the details down.

Thanks,

Greg

October 30th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

You may open the Anti-virus application and check the scanning settings. Based on the settings, some of the Anti-virus programs scan the storage media as soon as it is detected. For more specific information on how to check the settings, please let us know the name of anti-virus program that is installed in the system.

Referring to the BIOS issue, have you made any hardware changes to the system? If you have not made any changes please try the below mentioned steps.

• Login to BIOS.

• Load the BIOS defaults. ( Also check the current BIOS version in the system)

• Restart the system and see if it is loading to Windows directly.

• You may also consider updating the BIOS if a newer version is available. You may use the below link to do so.

www.dell.com/.../NeedProductSelection

I hope this helps.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2012 08:00

Thanks for the speedy reply,

I'am using BitDefender Internet Security 2013 but the problem isn't with the anti-virus (or at least I don't think it is), when I click on computer in the start menu, the disk is under "Devices with Removable Storage" and to run it I have to double click on it and select the autorun application. When I insert the disk my computer starts making chirping sounds and it doesn't aurotun. If the problem is with the anti-virus then could you please tell how to fix it, I'm not good with the settings because I never used Bitdefender before so you be specific please.

I will try your solution for the BIOS problem, I'm downloading all the updates now.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2012 08:00

Could you elaborate on logining into BIOS and loading the defaults?

677 Posts

November 1st, 2012 03:00

Hi Greg.K,

The following steps will help you to login to BIOS and load/reset defaults:

Shut the system down, restart and keep tapping 'F2' key as soon as you see the Alienware splash screen. This will take you to BIOS screen. Then tap the key 'F9' to load defaults. Then tap 'F10' to save and 'Esc to escape'. Now check if the system goes into BIOS everytime you restart.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

November 1st, 2012 07:00

I followed your instructions and it worked for the first time but next time I started up my computer the BIOS screen came up again.

November 5th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

After loading the BIOS to the defaults, load the system to the Windows.  Once the system successfully logs into Windows you may download and install the latest BIOS.

When you are in the BIOS please check the version of the BIOS currently installed in the system. Please find below the link for the support website. You may use the same to download and Install the BIOS.

www.dell.com/.../NeedProductSelection

• Enter the Service tag of your system in the respective box and click on Submit.

• Once the page loads click on BIOS and check if you have a higher version of BIOS listed in the web page than the one that you have in the system.

• If there is a latest BIOS available download and install the same and restart the system.

I hope this helps. Please do write back in case you need any further details on how to flash the BIOS.

No Events found!