Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2007 14:00

Physical Drive Error showing on Boot-up

I have a two-month-old Dimension 9200 with two 320GB hard drives (WD-RAID).  I recently noticed a red " Error Occurred" message during Boot-up.  When I press , these are the details I see:

RAID Volumes:
ID   Name       Level                 Strip       Size           Status           Bootable
0     ARRAY    RAID0(Stripe)    128KB    596.2GB     Normal          Yes

Physical Disks:
Port  Drive Model              Serial #                     Size        Type/Status (Vol. ID)
 0      DC-WD3200KS-7P  WD-WCAPD4249931  298.1GB  Member Disk (0)
 1      DC-WD3200KS-7P  WD-WCAPD4152607  298.1GB  Error Occurred (1)

I can't find any details anywhere else.  I haven't noticed any problems with the PC's operation but, then again, I haven't been on it much lately.  There are quite a few errors in the Windows Vista (Home Premium 32-bit) Event Viewer but none of them seem to pertain to this.

I have no idea what this means or what I need to do about it. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2007 15:00

Boot, press F12 and load the Dell diagnostics. If as is likely, the drive fails, call Dell with the error for replacement.

You will need to reload everything, so before you proceed, BACK UP YOUR DATA. If one of the drives is on its way out, as it looks, you will LOSE EVERYTHING ON BOTH DRIVES.

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2007 15:00

Thanks for the advice.  When you write "you will need to reload everything", so you mean all my software etc.?  This is a brand new PC -- is it likely that a drive is failing already?

I'll back up my data right now -- thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2007 16:00

If one of the two drives fails, when you replace it, you will need to rebuild the OS from the ground up, and reinstall everything. That is the very significant downside to RAID 0.

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2007 16:00

Thanks again.  Sounds dire.  I'll just have to hope that the rebuild is Dell's problem (not mine) for a computer that's only two months old.   This wasn't a cheap PC and all I've had is problems ...

Thanks again for the back-up advice.  At least all won't be lost.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 2nd, 2007 18:00

SandyOttawa

Dell will replace the hard drive under warranty, but, under the terms of the warranty, the reinstallation of the operating system and software is your responsibility.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2007 21:00

Oh this should be fun! Thanks for the clarification, Bev. I'll be getting in touch with Dell as soon as I can be at home during Tech Support's business hours. Thanks all.

10 Posts

June 6th, 2007 13:00

Just an update ... I pressed F12 during boot-up and ran the Hard Drive Diagnostics.  Both hard drives PASSED.
Hoping to connect with Dell Tech Support when I can ...
Thanks again to all who have helped.

3 Posts

September 4th, 2007 02:00

I have the same symptoms (Raid 0) configuration.
All tests show drives okay, but still get
error occurred(0) at boot-up on both drives.
Was Dell support able to help any?

al

10 Posts

September 4th, 2007 14:00

Because I have to be at home during regular business hours to talk to a Dell technician, I've only been able to call twice and, so far, they haven't been of any help (the first call, which obviously went to a foreign call centre) was horrifically frustrating because we could barely understand each other. 

I was then given a Canadian contact number and went through the same rigmarole all over again with their checking a few things out using DellConnect.  But of course they can't be on DellConnect AND watch the computer reboot, so I even took photos of the screen when the error message appeared! 

I'm hoping to find time to call again later today.  Someone I know suggested it could be the RAID BIOS (which means nothing to me) ... I updated the BIOS (I think) but it didn't help.  So far, Dell hasn't offered to send anyone to actually look at the machine.  I'm close to insisting that they do so even though there are still no other "symptoms".

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this experience.

3 Posts

September 5th, 2007 01:00

Sandy,

Thanks for the reply.
Let me know if you find a solution...
I'll do the same.

10 Posts

October 11th, 2008 13:00

I ended up having to reset the RAID on my PC ... it worked but it meant wiping out everything on my PC and even re-installing the operating system again ... which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I still lost a lot of things I hadn't had time to back up --I kept getting error messages warning of an imminent hard drive failure but the RAID problem was being misinterpreted as that.
No Events found!