Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 22nd, 2011 00:00

Poor write performance on Alienware Aurora's Samsung PM800 SSD

Hello,     I am looking for tips or similar experiences with write performance on Dell-issued SSDs.  My Alienware Aurora shows the following device in device manager:

IDE\DiskSAMSUNG_SSD_PM800_2.5"_256GB____________VBM24D1Q

This is a Windows 7 machine (original Dell image).  "Enable write caching" is checked in the Policies tab. 

I've been writing my own benchmarks to measure sequential read and write performance of this device.  Sequential read performance is great: about 160 to 180 megabytes per second, sustained transfer rate.  But sequential write performance is much worse than what I get from mechanical disks hosted in the same system.  The SSD is giving me sequential writes of about 5 to 15 megabytes per second.  I won't even talk about the effect of long writes on read performance, which is bad enough to make programs unresponsive for up to a minute in some situations.

Two questions.  Anyone else had problems with write performance on the PM800?  And has anyone found a way to overcome this by tuning the system?

Thanks,
Blake

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 11:00

Hi Blake,

Alienware questions should be posted in the Alienware forum under Owners Club above.

Good luck!

6 Posts

April 23rd, 2011 12:00

I reposted.  But in case someone is reading this thread---

Update: I tried using a benchmark written by someone else, CrystalDiskMark, and it reports 107.7 megabytes per second on sequential writes rather than 10.  Hm, so much for homemade benchmarks.  :)

A lot of the writes seem to go immediately into an operating system cache, which can be up to 3 gigabytes on a large-memory, 64-bit system.  Then the contents get bled out to the disk.  I thought I could measure the speed of the bleeding out to see the throughput of the physical disk on writes, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Even though it appears from PerfMon and other tools that the writes are taking place at only 10MB/s, CrystalDisk reports otherwise.  Curious.

No Events found!