Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2014 05:00

Problem regarding start up

So i have a dell xps 15 l502x 6 gb , the problem is, when ever i try switching my laptop on, it makes a strange sound ( like tak tak)  and then   the boot menu opens up, i try booting and says no file name found, later i go on with the pre boot diagnostic test, which takes on about thirty minutes.. and then switch the laptop off, and try switch it on, it gets switched on fine,

this happens every single time i try switching it on.

and my laptop gets stuck every 2 hours or so, again because of this strange sound.

615 Posts

January 29th, 2014 13:00

Hi Srivani,

Sometimes refered to as the "Tic of Death" the sound you are describing and the associated symptoms are the last dying gasps of your HDD. The sound is caused by the RW head searching and losing contiguous data and attempting to resolve the issue by starting over. While you still have access to the drive BACKUP whatever you can. If you wait the problem will get worse...not better.  GOOD LUCK! if this helped please remember to hit the YES button and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact.

615 Posts

January 29th, 2014 21:00

Srivani,

Once you back up your data your very best bet is going to be to purchase a new HDD. I am not aware of any Mfg of HDD's that actually "repair" them. Once they're gone, well that's it. 

About the report of healthy, all HDD utils are not created equal and a SMART test results can be pretty cryptic. bordering on deceptive. Unless you have the code chart from the Mfg in front of you, most of the time the only part of the test you'll likely get anything out of is whether the electronics pass or fail. That is not to say anything about the physical conditions inside. I'm glad you caught it before the drive went belly up...at that point you have to send it out to get the info off the drive and it's not a cheap or fast process.

615 Posts

January 30th, 2014 05:00

Srivani,

Yep you can get the 1tb and install it'll  work well. Some of the "hybrid" drives like the ones Seagate and Western Digital make are blistering fast too. Look for them with your favorite search engine. If this answer was helpful please remember to push the YES button and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact.

3 Posts

January 29th, 2014 16:00

thanks a lot yeah, so now once i back up, do you suggest replacing the hdd with a new one, or do u suggest getting it repaired?

As weirdly,when i tried checking th hdd's health, turns out its pretty healthy.

3 Posts

January 30th, 2014 01:00

Yeah thanks, il get it replaced yeah , so how about wd 1 tb  Internal Hard Drive  ? im planning to order that..

do you think that'l work with my laptop? thanks a ton for answering.

No Events found!