Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2012 14:00

Problem with burning DVDs

Hi!

Recently I brought a pack of blank Memorex DVD-Rs to burn some movies onto from my XPS laptop, but the laptop doesn't recognize the disks. I've tried burning from Adobe Premiere Elements, Windows Media Player, even directly from the DVD/CD-RW Drive D: on "My Computer" etc. and nothing works. Is there anything I can do to make the laptop recognize the blank DVD-Rs? My laptop is an XPS M1710 and I run Windows XP.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 19th, 2012 04:00

Hi Rose_petal,

The reason you cannot burn DVDs is that you do not have a DVD burner drive. Your drive can read and burn CD discs and read DVDs but you cannot burn DVDs. Sorry.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 16th, 2012 17:00

Hi Rose_petal,

Windows XP cannot burn DVDs, and so it does not recognize blank DVD discs. You need to use a DVD burning program.

To make sure your drive can read these discs, please go to Osprey's toolbox (link below) and find DVD identifier. Run that program with one of your blank DVD discs in the drive, and it should read the media code and manufacturer. When you see that, you'll know the drive is correctly reading your blank DVDs.

8 Posts

December 16th, 2012 20:00

Hi! I'm surprised XP can't burn a disk as I had another computer (an HP desktop) that before it broke could burn DVDs. It ran XP too.

I tried downloading the DVD identifier with the DVD in the computer, but it wouldn't let me click the "identify" button. At the bottom it did say: "No Supported Drives Found (Out Of 1 Available Drive)."

After that I restarted my computer and hit the F12 button to enter the diagnostic part. At first when I ran the diagnostic on the CD/DVD drive it said: "CD Rom - optical device built-in self test. Test results: fail." There was a pop-up window, but underneath it said "Optical drive BIST - Spindle test failed." Once I took the disk out and ran it again it was fine and everything passed.

I'm definitely going to need some help on this, lol.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 17th, 2012 04:00

Oops, that means your drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Let me clarify that you can certainly burn DVDs with a computer running Windows XP. It's just that the XP disc burning utility was never able to accommodate DVD discs.

8 Posts

December 17th, 2012 08:00

Yikes. Even though the diagnostic went through without any problems the second time, I'll still need to replace the drive? :-( How much does it cost to replace the drive?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 17th, 2012 12:00

Would you please locate the model number of your DVD drive in device manager and post that?

3 Posts

December 18th, 2012 02:00

I wonder if  Windows DVD Maker works on XP, but it works well on my WIn7.

8 Posts

December 18th, 2012 11:00

Hi Jackerry, I did a Yahoo search and one website shows it as being compatible with XP. I'll try and see what happens when I download it...

8 Posts

December 18th, 2012 11:00

Underneath the DVD/CD-Rom drives listing it says: HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244. The drive string is: IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_CDRW/DVD_GCC244_______________B103____\5&D3986E7&0&0.0.0.

Hope that's the number you're looking for.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2012 23:00

Hey guy, I remember I have answered a similar question: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19479033.aspx   The program I mentioned may help you: http://www.dvdconvertersoft.com/dvd-creator.html     But I used it long long ago and I wonder if it still work well.

8 Posts

December 20th, 2012 13:00

Crap. Can I have a DVD burner drive installed, or does it cost too much money and not worth the price?

8 Posts

December 20th, 2012 13:00

Thanks for the info, Jackerry. I don't know if it will help as my laptop can't burn any DVD by the looks of it. :-(

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 21st, 2012 05:00

You have the option of replacing your drive with a DVD burner. The installation is quite easy. They cost about $40.

8 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 14:00

Thanks! I'll have to look into doing that. :-)

No Events found!