Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 15th, 2009 10:00

Question re: User Guide instructions on adding a second hard drive.

I recently lost a WD 320 GB HDD on my Dell Dimension XPS GEN5 system. I am in the process of replacing that drive as well as adding a second HDD. I was reading the User Manual and found some information that I do not understand. Specifically:

5 Remove the first hard drive from the upper bay and install it in the lower bay:
a Disconnect the power and the hard-drive cables from the back of the first hard drive.
b Press in the two rail tabs and pull the first hard drive out of the upper bay.
c Gently slide the first hard drive into the lower bay until it clicks into place.
d Reconnect the power and hard-drive cables to the back of the first hard drive.
6 Gently slide the new hard drive into the upper bay until it clicks into place.

It looks to me like the HDD cage (bays) is just a physical container to hold the drives. Why would I need to relocate any hard drive when replacing/adding another hard drive? It seems to me that what is important is that the SATA cables be connected appropriately. Which leads to the question: Does it matter which SATA 0-3 cable is attached to which drive? Does the boot drive have to be connected via the SATA 0 cable/port?

Last question: Since there are 4 SATA ports (0-3) and the specifications state that this system only supports 3 HDDs is it OK/possible to attach an external eSATA drive from the fourth SATA port?

I would appreciate any thoughts/comments anyone might make.

Thanks,

Keith

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 15th, 2009 13:00

dufferbro 

As you are using SATA hard drives, there is no need to move the hard drives to different bays, these directions are intended for IDE hard drives, due to the limitations of the primary IDE data cables.  Dell has neglected to update/rewrite this part of the manual.     :emotion-4:

Yes, the primary 'Boot' SATA hard drive must be connected to SATA port 0.

You can use a spare SATA motherboard connector for an eSATA drive.

Bev.

No Events found!