Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2016 09:00

R710 mirroring for disaster recovery.

Hi,

I have two PE R710 both with W2K3 Enterprise Edition SP2.  However the production one has two SAS Drives with Raid 1 (2 600gb drives).  The backup R710 Server has 6 x 2TB SATA drives.  Currently we have done the following as part of our disaster recovery plan.  Our core application software disks have been lost so I have had to revert to this solution in the event my production system fails.  The company that sold us the application is out of business so we cannot get copies of the original application.

The objective is to use one of the drives from the RAID 1 of the production server to be used to get the backup server to run the core application using the SAS drive mirrored with the application data.

These are the steps done.

R710 production. Disaster Recovery Planning.

Step 1:  Removed Original Disk 1:

Procedure: Put disk offline then remove.

SAS DRIVE 1

Step 2: Inserted New BLANK SAS Disk .

SAS DRIVE 3 to be put in SLOT 1 to replace removed drive.

Result: Rebuild Successful.

Step:3  We shutdown Server by first placing disk 1 (alias 3 blank SAS) offline.  The disk 1 was then removed.

Step:4 A normal shutdown is down.

Step 5: Objective: To restablish Production to original status.  Action: With Server powered down we reinserted Original Disk 1 and ensured that the selection from BIOS prompt was to  “Press F key to force importation of disk configuration.”  System maintains configuration through a battery backup of VRAM volatile ram.

System will notify you that the stored configuration do not match and give you the option to reconfigure or import.

Once importation is successful the machine will proceed to boot normally.

***Important****

If you are asked to delete configuration and you do, the system will default to Raid 0 since there is only 1 disk.  You will need to then rerun the PERC 6/I Integrated BIOS Configuration Utility and setup RAID 1 by ensuring that the drive to rebuild is placed offline so it can rebuild from the original disk 0.

Now we would like to use the copy of the mirrored disk removed from Production Server to configure the Backup Server with a Raid 1 using the copy of the disk made in procedure above,  We also have another blank SAS to use in the new Raid 1 in Backup server for mirroring once the Backup server boots successfully using a mirrored copy of the Production server.

Can someone advise us how we can accomplish this?

No Responses!
No Events found!