Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2011 17:00

Raid 0 Config Re-format

Simple question. I am in need to reformat my Raid 0 HDDs and I have never done it before. I use Windows 7. Is there anything special I need to do? I have read around and in some situations you will need drivers for it, and some say you won't. So I would like to get some info on this before I begin and mess it up.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2011 05:00

Hi Kraiser,

It would be helpful if you provided the model of your Dell. 

I should also ask why you are using RAID 0. While there are some performance advantages, there is risk of data loss should either drive experience a hardware failure.

8 Posts

February 1st, 2011 22:00

Sorry for such a long gap in my response time.

It is a Dell Studio XPS 7100. I use Raid 0 exactly for the performance advantage. Faster is better for what I need it to do. I know the risk in doing this, but I believe the gain outweighs it.

Also, to add in another question to my original. If I decided to get rid of Raid 0 format, what would I need to do to make that happen?

1.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2011 09:00

Assuming your re-installing the OS you can reformat as part of the OS install.   Note you will loose all the data on the parition.   The RAID 0 array should stay in place.   Note you need to create a Pre-OS driver CD/USB to install the RAID Pre-OS driver.    I would use the Intel site to get the most recent version of the driver.   You will need to know what chip set your using.    The pre-OS driver install is done shortly after the boot up off the Window 7 install disc.    After install the OS you need to install all the drivers for network, sound, video card etc.   You need to also install the Intel Storage Manager after all the drivers and windows update has been done.  

No Events found!