Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 15:00

Restore Dimension E520 to factory settings?

Hi everyone.  What is the hot key to restore my dimension to E520 to its factory settings?  I think it is something like control and F-11 but i am not sure, I have used it before and always seem to forget it.

2.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 15:00

Hi

You press CTRL + F11 when you see this www.dell.com at boot

just after the Dell Logo goes away .

Good Luck

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 16:00

Hello. Thank you but that did not seem to do anything, i held control and f11 right when the dell logo shows up and until it ends as well as rapidly push both of the buttons.

2.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 16:00

Hi

Are you using XP as the OS or Vista ?

If you have XP the CTRL + F11 is what works

Do you see a blue banner with www.dell.com on it just

after the Big Dell logo goes away you hole CTRL and tap F11 .

If you have Vista you tap F8 at boot!

2.7K Posts

July 24th, 2008 18:00

Hi

If you have changed the mater boot record by dual booting 

or installed XP from the CD or have formatted the drive

the CTRL + F11 will not work anymore you will have to use the CD to install XP .

You might get it working by reading this link on how to fix the CTRL + F11

factory restore option !

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

Good Luck

3 Posts

July 24th, 2008 18:00

Im using xp and i am doing exactly what you say and it doesnt work.

April 11th, 2013 08:00

What about for Windows 7? I have the Dimension E520 desktop and CTRL F11 doesn't work and when I hit F8 it does not give me an option to do a factory reset. Just a System Restore which doesn't help me because I don't have any restore points.

6.4K Posts

April 11th, 2013 13:00

The PC Restore feature is only found on factory delivered operating systems.  The most recent operating system delivered with the Dimension E520 is Vista; if you still had that operating system, you would have found "Repair My Computer" in the F8 menu.

If you did not make a system image with something like Acronis True Image, or EASUS, or Ghost, I'm afraid the only way you will restore your computer is to install everything from external media.  You might be able to repair your Windows installation using the Windows 7 installation DVD if you do not wish to erase everything and start over.

No Events found!