Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2006 12:00

SECOND HARD DRIVE DIMENSION 4300

Dear World Community of Helpful People,

I want to put a second hard drive in where my zip drive is as my kids have filled my mhard drive up with music!!

I understand that I need an IDE drive on with Dell Dimension 4300. Please could someone tell me what maximum size hard drive I can fit as I believe this MAY be limited by the size of my motherboard. Also, is it easy to fit?

Thanks a lot friends of the world

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 21st, 2006 19:00

geolpete

You should be able to install a 120gb IDE hard drive, without a problem.  There is a 3.5" bay in the D-4300 for a second hard drive, but because the primary IDE controller only supports two devices, you will need to use the cable connector the Zip Drive is connected to.

If you want to keep the Zip Drive, then a PCI controller card could be used.

How to install a second hard drive in the D-4300,

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Remember to set the drive's jumpers to "cable select" and contect it to the middle connector.   After the installing the drive, enter the setup and check that Primary Drive 1, is set to auto [on].

In order for windows XP to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.   These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all brands.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html  

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

4 Posts

October 21st, 2006 21:00

Bev,

Thank you for that detail but not sure if I understood all that you said.

Is 129GB the maximum? What if I want install more capacity say 250GB?

Also, if I take out my zip drive for the second hard drive I was told that the jumper settings should be set to slave.

Please clarify both points.

Thanks very much.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 21st, 2006 22:00

geolpete

If you wish to install a larger hard drive, then use a PCI controller card and XP-SP1 or XP-SP2.

Dell use "Cable Select" jumper settings.

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2006 08:00

Bev,

Thanks for that information. To get a PCI controller do I have to replace a card that is already installed and if so which one?

Thanks again

11.9K Posts

October 22nd, 2006 12:00

geolpete wrote:
Bev,

Thanks for that information. To get a PCI controller do I have to replace a card that is already installed and if so which one?

Thanks again

You simply need an open slot.
No Events found!