Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 15th, 2013 12:00

SSD Brands used by Dell?

I realize this may be an odd question to ask here, but I can't seem to get any answer out of Dell themselves, so thought that maybe real-world users might be able to shed some light.

I am considering a Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition with a 256GB SSD but cannot get any info on who is likely to have made it/what brand it will be. I need to decide if I should get it included, or opt for a cheaper version and get my own SSD from a 3rd party sine there are some big differences in performance and specs etc. I'd rather not have to go an re-install my OS mind you, but would like to be sure that Dell is using a good top of the line SSD.

Anyone out here using this machine and can tell me?

Many thanks.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 15th, 2013 13:00

Hi Gene_Jockey,

Dell uses good and reputed SSDs of multiple brands like Samsung, LiteOn, and Corsair.

If the SSD is ordered along with the XPS 8700 system, it is pre-configured with operating system and can be used as a Bootable device or can be configured as cache memory or a storage device depending upon your requirement.

You can order a system without SSD and can purchase it separately from 3rd party manufacture, but you need to go through the set-up process. Dell will assist you to configure SSD as per your requirements.

Please reply for any further help.

16 Posts

March 31st, 2021 14:00

I've had too many SSDs fail over the years that come from OEMs.  For my personal systems, I configured with the cheapest storage I can get and then swap it out or add a great SSD.

No Events found!