Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2012 03:00

SSD - SAS vs SATA

I want to use 3 x 200GB SSDs in RAID0 with a PERC H700 controller. I can buy either SAS or SATA SSD drives. The SAS drives are much more expensive.

Will the 3 SAS SSD drives in RAID0 be faster than SATA? I thought they both operated at 6Gbps these days.

What other considerations are there when choosing between SAS and SATA SSDs for RAID?

Are there any performance statistics or graphs which compare the two?

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 20th, 2012 09:00

SSD's will be faster but they will also be smaller than the SAS drives.

If they are not smaller there's no way they are less expensive.

512 Gig M4 SSD's from Crucial are close to $799 EACH.

Crucial m4 SSD RAID Review | StorageReview.com - Storage ...

15 Posts

April 22nd, 2012 08:00

Hi SpeedStep

You misunderstood my question. You can buy both SATA SSDs and SAS SSDs for a Dell Server.

And you're also partially wrong about SSDs being more expensive than HDDs.

An OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SATA SSD is less expensive than a Dell 73GB 15K SAS HDD.

However Dell SSDs are ridiculously expensive - 6 times the cost of the OCZ Vertex 4 which also has a 5 year warrranty.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 22nd, 2012 09:00

" I thought they both operated at 6Gbps these days" They are, both throughput as to 6Gb are the same as to interface standards.How it works out, SATA is less robust as to the interface command structure (less overhead) but each SSD make/model vary (SAS or SATA) vary considerable in performance..new/evolving technology  without standardization.

With fast SSD drives you need to consider adapter saturation, system bus saturation, adapter system resource utilzation.

Below is a link of benchmarks in Dutch but understandable, they have both SAS and SATA (you need to manually search), also many of the SAS benchmarks are from adapters which are not Lsi based

tweakers.net/.../13

"However Dell SSDs are ridiculously expensive" ....beyond ridiculous

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

April 24th, 2012 09:00

For a server (I assume you have a server if you're using a PERC H700), you want to stick with Enterprise class SSDs.

Dell is higher than the market, but don't compare desktop SATA SSDs with Enterprise class (SAS or SATA) SSDs.

Here you can see Newegg's Enterprise SSD offerings:

www.newegg.com/.../SubCategory.aspx

15 Posts

April 24th, 2012 13:00

The OCZ Vertex 4 is marketed as a high-performance SSD and it has a 5 year warranty. I'm not going to dismiss it simply because it's not called "Enterprise-class". In a RAID10 configuration with an extra hot spare added, I don't really care if these fail slightly more often than an Enterprise SSD.

I'm likely to have fewer than 10 servers with SSDs, therefore swapping failed disks is not too much of an issue for me. If I had hundreds of servers, I might consider that their reliability is worth paying stupid money for. Seriously, I can get 6 of those bad boys for the cost of ONE Dell enterprise-class SSDs.

The maths simply doesn't add up (for my situation, anyway).

No Events found!