Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2013 08:00

SSD recommendations for XPS 8500

Currently, I'm running 2 Samsung 480GB (can't remember the model name) drives. They seem to work just fine, plenty of capacity and speed, but I'm not a true believer in Samsung. In the past year, I've experienced my Samsung washer stop working, couple monitors stop working, 2 Galaxy S3's sudden deaths, color laser printer burn itself from the inside, and a friend's SSD no longer recognize. All Samsungs. My Samsung "smart TV" has also crashed in Netflix several times.

Needless to say, I'll never purchase any Samsung product again.

I wanted to ask the general audience here as to what SSD at 480GB or larger they recommend, that also doesn't break the bank and isn't slow. For the XPS 8500. I was thinking to go with Sandisk Extreme? 

Thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 8th, 2013 05:00

Hi Ramez M,

Yes, a bad string of luck with Samsung, no doubt. Crucial sells SSDs and you can use their tool to make sure you get something that's compatible. They have good tech support and provide a great warranty.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 8th, 2013 07:00

The irony is that you may think you're avoiding Samsung by buying something else - but if you buy a Crucial or Sandisk SSD, you may well find it contains Samsung chips (along with being the largest manufacturer of LCD panels in the world, Samsung is also the world's largest memory manufacturer).

If you want something that's likely built with other than Samsung chips, Intel would be the way to go.

24 Posts

December 8th, 2013 08:00

It is quite ironic, I agree. What I'm afraid of is a failure on my OS SSD. I also forgot to mention that a Samsung blu ray player bricked itself doing an update as well, hahaha. So no, I've not had a great run with Samsung.

I was thinking of the Crucial m500 480Gb. I don't see any mention of Samsung being the manufacturer of the memory in those. Is it in fact made with Samsung memory?

Problem with Intel that I've seen last year (need to re-investigate now) is poor reviews due to bad performance.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 8th, 2013 16:00

To my knowledge, Crucial uses chips from Micron.

24 Posts

December 8th, 2013 20:00

Thanks OSPREY. I may pull the trigger on getting the crucial m500. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 10th, 2013 22:00

I have a Samsung 840 SSD and a Plextor mSATA in my XPS 8500, as well as a 2tb Seagate spindle drive.

I've had one Samsung product (a Blu-ray drive) fail on me (I RMA'ed it for a replacement), but the rest have been reliable. I've bought several Samsung SSDs this last year and a half, and none have had issues.

24 Posts

December 11th, 2013 08:00

Thanks rdunnill. However with my long list of Samsung failures, I don't have much faith in their reliability unfortunately.

No Events found!