Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

January 24th, 2006 16:00

Samsung CDRW/DVD Combo Drive Won't Read Audio CDs

Well, everyithing was working great with my Samsung CDRW/DVD combo drive that came with my Dimension 8300 unitl just a few days ago (I burned pictures to a CD using Record Now software however I'm not sure whether this is related). Now most of the time the drive cannot read a store-bought audio CD at all. Ironically, it can read and play DVDs just fine. It also reads a regular CD with picutures on it fine. So, it's just audio CDs that it doesn't recognize (sometimes if I bring up iTunes it can see the CD but is unable to play them (it just freezes when I click on play).

I have tried the following:

1) Uninstalling both Record Now and Music Match software, and uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.
2) Updating the driver's firmware which I found on the Dell website.
3) Changing the registry files following the instructions on the iTunes website to disable third party CD burning device filters (I have since rolled back to the original registry files since this did not work).

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?

15.3K Posts

January 24th, 2006 16:00

Hi VJB,

The filters iTunes support listed, was it similar to the Dell article I have listed in Section 12, article 10 of the CD/RW link in my post?

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

8 Posts

January 24th, 2006 17:00

That's the strange part, no problem reading and playing DVDs or reading CDs with data. Just can't read or play audio CDs ones.

I can try your suggestions. However, if they don't work do you think that purchasing a new drive from a different manufacturer might work? At this point I'm getting to frustrated to keep troubleshooting.

Thanks!

VJB

8 Posts

Hi Jeff,

Not exaclty the same procedure. iTunes suggested:

1. Right-click the LowerFilters key and from the shortcut menu, click Delete. Note: If you don't see a LowerFilters key then continue to the next step.
  2. Right-click the UpperFilters entry and from the shortcut menu, click Modify.
  3. Select the entire contents of the text in the Value data text field.
  4. Right-click the selected text and from the shortcut menu, click Cut.
  5. Type GEARAspiWDM and press Return. Pressing Return adds a carriage return in the field and is important.
Again, I tried the above and since it didn't fix the problem imported the original registry files back.

VJB

15.3K Posts

Hi VJB,,
One would think if it could read a data CD, it should a audio CD as well. It could possibly be a driver issue. Same CD/RW link, Section 20, article 3 has been used at times with good success in clearing up a driver problem and also resetting a drive back to DMA mode, if stuck in PIO mode.

Also Section 6-5, article 11, the Auto play repair wizard.

Best Regards

difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 01-24-2006 04:42 PM

8 Posts

January 24th, 2006 19:00

Thanks Jeff... I really appreciate your help.

15.3K Posts

January 24th, 2006 19:00

Hi VJB,

Anyway possible you can test the drive in another system? If it does the same thing, then yes a new drive would be the way to go. Still, the drives have dropped in price so much, sometimes about as cheap, especially time wise, just to purchase a new one.
The Regulars here tend to recommend Plextor, Pioneer, Retail NEC brands and New Egg for on-line shopping.

Best Regards

difference.

CD/RW Link
No Events found!