Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2009 10:00

Sata1 or Sata2 compliant?

Please how does one tell whether a motherboard is Sata

1/150Mbs or Sata 2/300Mbs compliant?

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 purchased in 2006.

Thank you,

coltaboyone.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2009 10:00

That system is SATA-150.

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2009 12:00

Hello,

The 9150 has SATA 1.

It's the system I am using to reply to you. :emotion-21: :emotion-36:

27 Posts

November 30th, 2009 05:00

Many thanks contributors for confirming that the Dell 9150 system has the Sata 1 configuration.

I aked the question as i am about to install a second hard drive on which to transfer My documents,graphics and music files etc.I have chosen a WD5000AAKS 500GB Sata11 -OEM Caviar and I am advised that I need to purchase a jumper to connect pins 5and 6.Apparently i have to use this jumper as ,per your confirmation ,the motherboard is only Sata 1compliant.You may have already guessed that this will be my first venture inside the casing.

Rgards,

coltaboyone

3.4K Posts

November 30th, 2009 07:00

Hello again,

You should not have to buy a jumper.

There should already be a jumper attached to the drive, or in the packaging.

3.4K Posts

November 30th, 2009 08:00

This Western Digital PAGE shows that a jumper is included. :emotion-21:

27 Posts

November 30th, 2009 10:00

Thanks once again for taking the trouble to help me out.Much appreciated.

I quote from a typical posting in the comments section of Ebuyer.com which led me to raising the issue:-

"First of, what you get:-
1. A brown box which contains
2. Air spacer bags as packaging
3. A sealed anti static bag containing one drive

Thats it. Please note that if your motherboard is _NOT_ SATAII compliant then you will need to source a jumper to force the drive to SATA150 otherwise your motherboard will probably not see the drive. To be honest for the fraction of a fraction of a penny that jumpers cost, it would have been nice to have one included. Still thats OEM for you I suppose."

As a point of interest and being entirely nosey,are you running a second internal drive in your Dimension 9150? Are there any difficulties to be encountered e.g.formatting,before mine will be up and runnning or will Windows give some guidance?

All the best,

coltaboyone from a rain soaked U.K.

3.4K Posts

November 30th, 2009 11:00

Hello again,

90% certainty that the jumper will already be in place between jumpers 1 and 2. These are the null points and have no effect on the drive. If this is a true OEM drive, then it will be sealed in a factory sealed bag. The required jumper will be there.

Not a problem. I have two SATA 1 drives and one ATA 100 drive installed for a total of about 750 GB. No problems at all, once you have Windows installed you can partition and format the the drive in Windows. HERE are the instructions for DOS and up to Windows XP. HERE they are for Vista. And last is HERE for Windows 7.

Feel free to ask whatever you need. :emotion-21:

3.4K Posts

December 1st, 2009 09:00

If it is not too imposing on your generosity and time ,please do you think you could tell a mere novice such as myself how you create the links such as "HERE" in your postings?

No problem,

When you ask a question here of post a reply ...

In the header area of the compose box that you type in you will see a graphic of a chain, and a broken chain. They are dull and can't be used until you highlight some text. Once you highlight the text that you want to be a link, you can then click on the chain and enter the web address you want. :emotion-15:

I always choose the option for the target to open in a new window. :emotion-55:

27 Posts

December 1st, 2009 09:00

Thanks once again for all your help which is much appreciated.I guess I have some reading to do before I actually  try transferring the contents of my current "MY Documents " over to the new hard disk which it is my intention to install.

If it is not too imposing on your generosity and time ,please do you think you could tell a mere novice such as myself how you create the links such as "HERE" in your postings?

Regards,

coltaboyone.

27 Posts

December 1st, 2009 11:00

Thanks.

I told you that I was dull.Well this proves it.

For example,I duly highlighted your final sentence above starting with"I always"and ending with"window".Having highlighted the text,neither the closed nor the broken chain changed from being dull.

I then typed another sentence such as this one before highlighting the text once more ,clicking on the chain and then enteringa sample web address.My whole sentence immediately disappeared but I did get the reproduced web address in plain text.Not quite what I expected mind you.

I won't blame you if you give up in disgust.

Cheers.

3.4K Posts

December 1st, 2009 13:00

Hello again,

Look towards the top right of any forum page here.

In the gray panel that shows your user name, click on "Expand User Panel". Now on the left side under 'Suggest an Idea', click on "Edit Profile"

Click on "Site options", and using the "Content Editor" choose, "Enhanced".

Change any other options there that you may want.

When you are done, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Save".

That should do the trick.

If you go back through the steps again you can add a signature to your post like myself and other have. And/or also add a biography if you choose.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

27 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 08:00

Thanks yet again.I did not know that this section existed.Have tried including a few details with data on my PC under "Bio".

I have however again failed on the Links issue.After highlighting text from an earlier posting and then clicking on the unbroken chain (Insert/Edit link) nothing happens and I remain with both chains dulled out.I shall keep trying.

Best wishes to the man with boundless patience.

27 Posts

December 5th, 2009 10:00

Hi again,

Thanks to you I think I have now been successful.

For example,I tend to buy my computer bits from

Regards,

Colin.

3.4K Posts

December 5th, 2009 10:00

... I think I have now been successful.

Cool :emotion-21:

No Events found!