Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 23rd, 2006 17:00

Sony DW-Q58A DVD Drive Firmware

Anyone here have the UDS1 or UDS2 Firmware for the Sony DW-Q58A DVD Drive or can make a backup of it with mtkflash?

I bad flashed a Sony DW-Q58A Drive and need exactly that UDS1 Firmware version.

Thx in advance
PS: Please mail the file to: --removed--

Message Edited by limaa on 03-23-200601:26 PM

Message Edited by limaa on 04-09-200604:50 PM

April 4th, 2006 19:00

Hey man. I have the same exact problem. Tried googling but came up empty. Dell support was no support at all, they told me basically that I was on my own. I posted on a few other forums for anyone to provide the necessary bin file. If i hear anything (hopefully) i'll post it here.

12 Posts

April 5th, 2006 05:00

yep i used the wrong tool to backup the uds1 and just have a bad file now. My drive is working again with the uys3 firmware. But i still need/want the original firmware uds1 to get my dvd drive warranty back.

If anyone have a Dell laptop with Sony DW-Q58A DVD drive, write us please!

I would write an instruction how to backup the firmware. It's easy to do and nothing can happen, because your just "reading" it.

April 6th, 2006 02:00

Hey. I received a response from someone at one of the forums I posted on concerning the usd1. He e-mailed his backup and I tried to use it (with ltnFW) but to no avail. I haven't tried it with MTKflash or any other program however. I actually learned that I have full functionality with my drive as well (Uys2), so I'm not too upset. If anyone wants to try this bin file, send me a request at derrick_millin_jr@yahoo.com and I'll gladly send it to you

also if you figure out how to flash the file correctly, please post how you did it on this thread.

artizan

(Accidently posted this message as a seperate thread. Please disregard the thread)

12 Posts

April 6th, 2006 13:00

Hi thanks, i will try your bin file tonight when i come home, but i think that this uds1 bin file will not work because you used ltnFW. I also used ltnFW to backup my firmware, but ltnFw is not compatible with the sony dw-q58a, even if the tool display "backup or update successful".My uds1 firmware backup with ltnFW does not work. But the newest mtkflash(dos) tool work with our drive fine!

So DONT'T trust/use ltnFW if your playing around with firmware updates/backups.
Use newest Mtkflash (dos) NOT (win)!

cya llimaa

Message Edited by limaa on 04-06-2006 10:35 AM

12 Posts

April 6th, 2006 17:00

Your uds1 file does not work, i patched it to my sony dw-q58a and the dvd rom stoped working.
The file is bad because it was made with ltnFW. This tool is not compatible with the sony dw-q58a drive. Now im running uys3 again.

B.t.w.: you can always recover your dvd rom with mtkflash and working firmware file.

Ok, would be cool if anyone here could make a firmware backup of sony dw-q58a uds1 or 2 with mtkflash for us. I would help you with intructions!

thx in advance
llimaa

April 7th, 2006 03:00

The fella who e-mailed me the bin file said that it only works with MtkFlash. I haven't verified this. Did you try to patch it with that particular program?

12 Posts

April 7th, 2006 14:00

yep i tried with both mtkflash and ltnFW.
mtkflash flashes the bin file to dvd drive but then the drive stops working, like with my own ltnFW usd1 backup bin file.

i think ltnFW makes a bad backup of the firmware, because a uys3 backup that was made with mtkflash works well with mtkflash.

Or the ltnFw bin file just works with ltnFW, but its not possible to flash the file with ltnFW back to the drive.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2006 00:00

I have a new 6000 with the DW-Q58A drive and the firmware version is UDS1.

I can make a copy if you'd be kinda enough to walk me through it....

S

12 Posts

April 8th, 2006 09:00

Cool, thats nice from you!

Ok.

You need to boot into Dos with a USB-Stick or floppy disk. Do you have a Floppy drive or USB-Stick?

2 Posts

April 8th, 2006 18:00

Cool...don't have a floppy...I have a CL MP3 player that should double as a USB drive AFAIK.

I've downloaded mtkFlash 1.8 already as well....I'm not sure how to make the USB drive bootable though.

I'll look around to try to figure it out.  If you know pls let me know how and I think I can take it from there.

S

12 Posts

April 9th, 2006 10:00

OK fine :)

1.)
Download that " http://www.xtremearts.net/neededfiles.zip" file and extract it to somewhere.
You will find a Windows 98 Dosfiles and Mtkflash v1.83c Folder inside.
Make sure your using mtkflash v1.83.c

2.)
Plug-in your mp3 USB stick and format it using the Format Tool from HP.
Make sure you don't Have any important files on your USB-MP3 Stick because everything will be erased.
- Install the HP USB Disk format tool for Windows using the Setup (sp27213.exe)
- Start the Tool from the created Shortcut on your Desktop (HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool)
- Select your USB-MP3 Stick as device
- Select File System "FAT"
- Let the volume label empty
- Select "Quickformat"
- Select "Create a DOS startup disk"
- Choose "using DOS system files located at" and point it to the "Dosfiles" folder that you extracted
 before
- Click Start and Format
- Click Yes to proceed with format
- Click OK and Close

3.)
- Copy all the Files from the "Dosfiles" folder to your USB-MP3 Stick root and overwrite everything!
- Make sure you can see all files because some of them have a system or hidden file attribute.
 Don’t change the attribute from the files just copy them!
 You can see all files by enabling in Tools/Folder Options/View the "show hidden files and folders" option and by
 "unchecking" the "Hide protected operating system files"

4.)
Copy the "Mtkflash folder" to your USB-MP3 Sticks root

5.)
- Restart your notebook with the USB-MP3 Stick plugged and enabled.
- Get into the Boot menu from Dell (on my notebook I need to press the F12 Key on start)
- Select something with USB Stick or USB Storage Device (I don’t know the name exactly)
Then you get into the good old Windows 98 Command Prompt.

6.)
In the command Prompt you type:
"cd mtkflash" to change into the mtkflash directory
then type:
"mtkflash.exe 2 R /B /M uds1.bin" to backup your firmware into a file named uds1.bin
Wait a minute or two until it gets back to command prompt
type:
"dir" and check if the file is really there

reboot your computer and mail me the file to --removed--
After testing the file I will put it online for others too!

THATS ALL! THANKS :)

sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand my text :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ THIS TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you just have one Harddisk and one DVD Drive installed then your DVD Drive is installed as Primary Slave. Make sure you use the right number, but i think "2" is right for you!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MTKFLASH MANUAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Example for backup firmware: mtkflash.exe 2 R /B /M uds1.bin

1: Primary Master
2: Primary Slave
3: Secondary Master
4: Secondary Slave

W: Update ROM / Write
R: Backup ROM / Read
B: Binary mode
M: Merge Rom-Banks into one file

Message Edited by limaa on 04-09-200608:50 AM

Message Edited by limaa on 04-09-200604:48 PM

12 Posts

April 9th, 2006 20:00

OK the Sony dw-q58a UDS1 Firmware is Online. Update using mtkflash 1.83c (DOS)

Get the firmware here: http://www.load.to/?d=PjXL8gDLop

Thanks shawns637!

6 Posts

May 13th, 2006 01:00

Limaa or others: Has anyone saved a copy of the firmware was that ripped and posted in this thread?

12 Posts

May 13th, 2006 16:00

6 Posts

May 13th, 2006 23:00

Limaa, thanks for coming through.  I reflashed and it's back to its original firmware!
No Events found!