Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2017 07:00

Specs for DVD/CD-ROM Drive HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N

Trying to find the exact manufacturer specs sheet for my DVD/CD-ROM Drive.  XPS 8920.  Packing Slip identifies it as Dell Item #429-ABBC and BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray Disks).  Dell Online System Configuration identifies it as DVD/CD-ROM Drives HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N

Online searches are unable to accurately pinpoint.

Thanks very much in advance.  

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2017 08:00

wnyvet,

I can only find that it is an Hitachi bluray drive writer.

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 03:00

Thanks, Jesse.  I'm preparing to start working on some video projects, burning, etc.  Thought that obtaining factory specs, might help insure that I use the right media.  Also, after running diagnostics, results included several failures within the DVD/CD-ROM Drive, so I thought that updating the driver might help.  However, other than obtaining the specific driver info within the "Devices" history, there does not appear to be a DVD/CD-ROM Driver Update option anywhere, to determine if it's current (hence, why I wanted to go directly to the manufacturer).

According to Dell Tech Support: "the system was shipped with Hitachi-LG Data Storage a joint venture between Hitachi & LG, is a manufacturer of DVD & Blu-ray optical disk drives, universally compatible with all the Blu-ray discs".

Not as informative as I'd desired.  The system does seem to plays DVDs & Blu-ray, OK.  Guess I'll discover how well it performs other functions.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 30th, 2017 06:00

3 Posts

July 1st, 2017 03:00

Thanks.  I'll check in with LG to inquire about support.

June 22nd, 2018 06:00

Do you happen to know the part number for a blueray player that would fit in the Dell XPS 8910?  It doesn't need to be a Dell. 

January 30th, 2022 22:00

Just came across your question.  Here's a link to the LG webpage:  https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BU40N-ultra-slim-blu-ray-dvd-writer

Click on the "Specs" link underneath the photo.

No Events found!