Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2014 10:00

System Recovery Options not compatible with this version of Windows.

On installing a new 500GB HDD to my N7010 I get the following message when trying to use my System Repair Disc to boot and then access my saved image:

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible wth the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows"

It seems to be a Windows issue/bios issue. Many of the fixes I have seen online for other machines with same problem have manipulated the bios to work around, but Dell Phoenix Bios does not offer the switches that would make this problem easier to resolve.

1. I made a new System Recovery Disc just before attempting this swap.

2. My old HDD has not completely failed, but I keep getting diagnostic messages that it is time to replace. I can still boot to it.

3. I have tried a number of forum recommended approaches to work around without success.

• adjusted bios settings, drive listing priority, ata/ahci switch, etc.
  • f8 perameters do not present with same options on new disc as with old - old allows (or shows) option to repair new HDD does not.
  • have tried another W7 System Repair Disc from another computer
  • System Repair disc works fine with old HDD installed

The process of swapping an old hard drive for new should be easy. I have done it before without problems,  but this one has me stumped. Help would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 27th, 2014 17:00

Hi Canyonbuilders,

I assume you are trying to restore Windows 7. If the original HDD still works, I would try cloning it.

January 28th, 2014 17:00

Thank-you Osprey4,

I have not attempted a clone before can you recommend a product for this operation?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 29th, 2014 15:00

Some of the drive manufacturers provide one on their support site. I would head to the support site for your new drive's manufacturer and check there. I think Seagate provides a stripped down version of Acronis.

No Events found!