Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 3rd, 2007 00:00

TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E - Will not recognize DVD media

This DVD burner has never recognized DVD media. I never did much burning, but whenever I tried it would fail. I figured it was the software and never bothered with it. It wasn't urgent before, but now I need it. CD's burn fine.

I have the latest Roxio 9 suite on my system. All OEM applications are uninstalled. Firmware is updated. I run XP Pro SP2. System is a Dimension 8300 and just turned 3 a few weeks ago, so my warranty is done.

I see a few other posts with this same issue, but not one resolution from Dell that I have seen. There must be a way to make this work. Please help.

Thanks.

15.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2007 02:00

Hi Michael,

Are you referring to playing DVD media, such as movies and/or writeable DVD media?
If the former, click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 7-5, article 15 and try the free VLC program.
If the latter, what type of media have you tried? The drive only supports DVD+R and DVD+RW media.
Do you have DMA enabled for the drive? Same CD/RW link, Section 15, aricles 14 & 17.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 03-03-2007 07:38 AM

March 3rd, 2007 08:00

No, I am talking about burning DVD's. (Blank media) It plays DVD's fine. It won't record because it won't recognize the disc. DMA is on.

I am using DVD-R 8x discs and have tried a couple brands. Same result each time. Roxio tells me there is no disc in the drive. Sonic didn't work and I even had a couple Nero versions, all were the same. It has never worked.

Message Edited by michaelfbarrett on 03-03-2007 04:30 AM

15.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2007 10:00

Hi Michael,

Your drive does not support writiing to the DVD-R or DVD-RW media. Please try a DVD+R or DVD+RW media but not Memorex brand.
Here is the specs on the drive from Dell`s User Manual.
TEAC-W58E

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

March 3rd, 2007 11:00

Yeah, that makes sense... sell a drive for a newer technology without support for the original.

Shame on me for not knowing, but shame on Dell for not putting a +/- drive in the system. I can't believe they did that.

I was about to go buy +R discs before realizing I can buy an 18x +/- burner for $29. I think I will go that route.

Thanks for your help.

15.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2007 13:00

Hi Michael,

Just a quick tip my friend, uninstall the W58E from Device Manager; then shutdown to install the new drive. Also Dell uses the Cable Select jumper setting, not Master/Slave so set the new drive to CS as well.

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 03-03-2007 01:05 PM

March 3rd, 2007 14:00

Thanks for the head's up.

I did buy some DVD+R discs this morning. I'm burning something now and it seems to be taking a long time.

I got a Samsung 18x for $32.09 inclusive of delivery from NewEgg.com. It will be here Tuesday. Probably worth it for the speed alone. 3 years newer technology has to be a good thing.
No Events found!