Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2007 12:00

That dreaded 0x000000CA error...

It seems quite a few people have got this problem on their Dell laptops (mine's an Inspiron 9400), and i've seen no definitive answer on what the problem is, how it's caused and more importantly, how to fix it.

The blue screen error: 0x000000CA plug n play appears when i'm loading my Windows partition, just after the black background screen with the windows logo. It's impossible to load into safe mode, as after the MUP.sys line it crashes with the same error. The windows partition is completely unbootable.. but it's still accessible as from sda2 in linux.

It seems like a device driver issue/conflict, but is there any fix to it from dell, or any other way of getting around it - APART from formatting the partition and starting again. This has already happened to me once a month or two ago and I had to reformat the whole drive, I don't want to go through the hassle of this every two months of having this laptop.

I see a few people have rang Dell Software Support with no fix, so I don't fancy spending £39 when I believe it's a hardware problem (considering it's happened twice on different laptop setups), is there anyone that knows how to fix this?

Thanks for any info!

12.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 13:00

You might apply this new critical bios update, if you could get into Windows, you can also apply this in DOS mode if you are resourceful enough.

Fixes and Enhancements Fixes/Enhancements:
1. This update includes critical microcode updates from Intel.
2. Update Intel 945GM /940GML (Calistoga) VBIOS from X18(1264) to X21(1343).
3. Fixed Hard Drive Security vunerability if Admin or System password is not set.
4. Update support for Dell Wireless 1505.
5. Fixed BIOS setup menu item "Wi-Fi Catcher" is unlocked when Admin
password is set. 

Message Edited by mombodog on 06-22-2007 09:59 AM

12.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 18:00

You can boot from the XP install disc, hit R at setup for recovery console, select the installation you wish to recover (usually 1 choice here), if asked for a password and you know you don't have one set, leave it blank and hit enter, and get to the command prompt, then remove the xp cd and pop in a cd that the bios file is burned to then execute the bios update from there.

If you are not familiar with the command prompt, it could be a little tricky for you.

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2007 18:00

Thanks very much for the reply, I can't boot into the command line at all, and as the Inspiron 9400 doesn't have a floppy drive, i'm not sure where to go to boot into DOS. Does it need to be to the C: drive that I need to get into, as it is possible to boot into DOS but it's only the Media Center partition available when I do it.

12.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 19:00

Sometimes multiple attempts at booting will get past a bsod. Looks like it was your day.

4 Posts

I've no idea which bit exactly fixed it - as I never successfully ran the patch before I could boot into windows, but I'll give a brief rundown of what I did, which seems to have done something good(!)

1. Used gParted to resize a non-windows partition. I did it with a view of creating a DOS partition, but then due to having 4 primaries already, I couldn't create an extra one without creating EBR's, so just resized.

2. Attempted to run the patch using WINE in linux. Brought up an error terminating the program. (Patch didn't run)

3. Created a bootbale cd with FreeDOS on it and the patch, burnt it, put it in the drive and restarted. DOS came up fine, with just the CD accessible, but didn't show the patch in dir listing.

4. Restarted the computer, put windows into safe mode with command prompt (from the normal windows recovery menu), and safe mode loaded okay. Attempted to apply the patch using Explore2FS to drop the patch over from linux to windows. Safe mode wasn't having it, exiting with the same error.

5. Restarted and loaded windows normally, and it seemed to work. Applied the patch anyway and restarted, and it seems okay now.

Somewhere along the way it's fixed the blue screen, not sure where though!! I guess if you are having this trouble, and lucky enough to have dual booted your laptop, then play around like I did(!)

4 Posts

Many thanks for the information - Dell didn't give me the normal XP cd, but after fiddling around with the partition editor, creating a bootable dos CD and attempting to apply to patch through WINE in linux, for some reason it let me load up safe mode, and eventually windows proper where I could apply the patch(!)

Very strange.. but it's all sorted now, so thanks a lot - and hopefully anyone else who has this problem (or me again, two months down the line) will have a good idea on how to fix it!

12.7K Posts

So how did you sort it out exactly, so others can benefit.

1 Message

October 5th, 2007 20:00

just for further reference: i also had the 0x000000CA error after I booted the Dell Media Center for the first time after using my self-installed xp and ubuntu for some time. ubuntu was still booting up fine. then i tried booting the media center and just when it displayed its bootscreen it strangely kind of "flickered" back to my bootloader where i selected windows and suddenly it was working. after shutting down also the normal booting worked again. didnt dare to use the media center ever since ^^'.

1 Message

July 11th, 2008 19:00

SOLUTION AT BOTTOM OF POST

I recently got a Dell XPS M1530 laptop.

It came with Dell Media Direct 3.5 and Windows Vista Home.

Immediately after I got the laptop, I updated to Vista Business. The upgrade reformatted the HD, so Media Direct no longer worked (I wasn't complaining...). Over a week, several shut down/start up cycles went fine. However, after Windows Update downloaded some update no one wants/needs and shut down the computer, it would no longer boot Windows.

Instead, the same Plug & Play error (error 0x000000CA...) with a nice blue screen that everyone's been getting popped up after the Dell Media Direct logo screen was displayed.

I called Dell Tech Support, and the guy couldn't figure out the issue in the hour and a half we talked, and Dell is sending a new computer. Booting from Windows Installation DVD's produced more errors. Also, when trying to boot from the HD, the computer indicated "Windows XP Embedded" was displayed. Strange...

Anyways, I tried inserting the Media Direct Installation CD later and booting from that. IT WORKED. After reformatting the HD for Media Direct (all instructions were on screen), I was able to boot from a Windows DVD successfully. Windows is starting, booting, operating successfully.

Sorry for the long post.

SOLUTION for everyone to try: Insert the Dell Media Direct CD/DVD into the computer. As the computer is starting up press F12 repeatedly. Choose Boot from CD/DVD at the menu. Follow the directions.

Good luck, and Dell: stop factory installing terrible programs and screwing upyour own computers. Also, give your tech support people this information.

1 Message

November 10th, 2012 08:00

Hi

This is the second time I have had the same problem..... First time I tried several "experts" who all failed! Then I took it to a local computer shop who corrected it. Now it has happened again - tried everything and failed - then I thought about what happens, the grey flickering media screen then the blue screen - and I realiised I had pressed the Dell madia player button while the computer was already on, so .... I switched the computer off and booted it using the Dell media button without touching the on/off button - It then booted in to the media and eventually loaded my Vista OPS again! Bingo all is now OK.

Think Dell could say this works as it appears lots of people seem to have this problem! 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 10th, 2012 13:00

That's why we keep these old threads around. Glad it helped!

No Events found!