Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2007 21:00

Update Driver - XPS 720 - PBDS DVD +-RW DH-16W1S SCSI CdRom Drive

Hi,

I have an XPS 720. I had to reinstall Windows and lost all of the drivers. I am on Dell's site looking to update the driver on the DVD drive.

On the system properties it states it is a:

PBDS DVD +-RW DH-16W1S SCSI CdRom Drive

What driver do I need to get? There are about 5 in the list and I can't seem to narrow it down.

Thanks,

C

Message Edited by xarquid on 11-13-2007 06:21 PM

10.9K Posts

November 13th, 2007 22:00

The driver is installed by Windows.  It is a generic driver by Microsoft
that all optical drives use.  Can you describe the problem a bit more?

1 Message

November 15th, 2007 20:00

I've got the same issue with this DVD drive. It's installed in an Optiplex 745 and worked previously. Now the drive shows up in the Device Manager with the yellow exclamation symbol. I tried to reinstall the device, but Windows tells me it cannot find the driver. I tried to remove the device and reboot (hoping it would auto-detect and install the driver), but with the same result.

If this is a Windows issue, is there a way to pinpoint exactly which driver is needed and install it manually?

21 Posts

My point is -- this is a very expensive system. They just put some random, generic drive in there?

There has to be a driver or vendor information.

Dell's site lists 5 drivers as a possibility for this drive but none match the exact letters/phrase in the subject line:
PBDS DVD +-RW DH-16W1S SCSI CdRom Drive

Heck, none start with "PBDS"

I want the proper driver as I would with any of my hardware.

10.9K Posts

Look in the Device Manager .............

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  Right-click the drive and select
Properties.  Is there an Error Code (number)?

10.9K Posts

PBDS is a joint effort of BenQ and Philips.

1 Message

November 17th, 2007 12:00

You got it! It's a piece of garbage, can't even burn a decent audio CD. I have OLD Plextor and Lite-On burners that flawlessly burn audio CDs in my old Dimension box, and the burner in the $3500 system can't manage to burn a decent one to save its miserable life. Thanks, Dell, for this hunk of garbage. I will cherish it forever, or until I get a replacement (on my own nickel, I am so sure) and take it out back and put a nice neat hole through it with my Husqvarna .270.

21 Posts

November 17th, 2007 13:00

Exactly! You hit my point right on -- and I just wanted an updated driver.

My "top quality gaming system" already had to be replaced entirely once -- and they are still putting these cheap, random parts in them?

I will just have to replace the drive myself...SIGH.

1 Message

July 11th, 2008 23:00

This is my exact problem too.  My device driver doesn't start.  The first time this happened, I used restore to get it back.  Now that doesn't work.  I get Error code 10 - this device cannot start.

21 Posts

July 12th, 2008 00:00

Exxxactly. Why can't "they" (Dell) start putting in reputable (Brand Name, maybe? They advertise many to say the LEAST with the XPS, am I not right?)...CD-ROM drives instead of generic parts? Ohhhm, $$$Money. They do the same with other parts of your system that matter by the way (I'm on my third XPS now!~)...

It's NOT drivers. It's the PART (or manufacturer?). Chicken or the egg? Hmm.

No Events found!